Filching raspberry canes

• 7 Replies

Wellington

• Experienced Member
Filching raspberry canes
« on: February 05, 2020, 13:33 »
There is an abandoned plot at the top of our site which has been taken over by raspberry canes (and dock, hence why it is not my plot!). I have permission from the committee to dig some up (hopefully minus the dock) and take them down to my plot, and this is precisely what I am planning to do.

Can I just pull them out, clean them ruthlessly and plonk them in again, or do I need to dig them up more carefully. There are so many (more than any new owner could want) that I needn't worry about them all taking, they are obviously vigorous and tough as old nails, I think?

I think most are autumn raspberries, and many of them are yellow, which my daughter adored (and thought they were a permanent feature. She was most disappointed to go up a couple of weeks ago and find they were no more!)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Filching raspberry canes
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 13:51 »
I'd try to dig them up with a good root ball, to make sure they survive being moved. Yanking them out would probably break off the runners that will make this year's fruiting plants.

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 19:41 »
I was hoping they would be hardy enough to survive a bit of mistreatment!  Ah well, I will do what I can. I had meant to pull up some runners and just plant those. Most of the them are autumn ones, so we should get a little fruit this year which will make a small girl very happy.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 19:51 »
I have found raspberries easy to lift. they have quite a fibrous shallow root system.
give it a go!

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 09:13 »
There is an abandoned plot at the top of our site which has been taken over by raspberry canes (and dock, hence why it is not my plot!). I have permission from the committee to dig some up (hopefully minus the dock) and take them down to my plot, and this is precisely what I am planning to do.

Can I just pull them out, clean them ruthlessly and plonk them in again, or do I need to dig them up more carefully. There are so many (more than any new owner could want) that I needn't worry about them all taking, they are obviously vigorous and tough as old nails, I think?

I think most are autumn raspberries, and many of them are yellow, which my daughter adored (and thought they were a permanent feature. She was most disappointed to go up a couple of weeks ago and find they were no more!)

Having just relocated some of our raspberries and forever giving the volunteer plants away over the past 2 years I can definitely say they are easy to shift as they have a shallow root ball. Just put a fork angled under them and lift. They grow by producing suckers so you'll find they are connected to it's neighbours. They are easily separated with a pair of secateurs.

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 18:39 »
All raspberries should fruit this year. Although some fruit on last years canes, so I would not cut them down till you identify if they are that sort. If you can remember where the yellow ones were I would go for them mainly. They tend to be much sweeter.

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 21:32 »
Thank you all, I shall get up there with a fork as soon as I can.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 18:18 »
Thank you all, I shall get up there with a fork as soon as I can.

Don't let them produce suckers this year, it weakens them, the need to focus their energy on establishing and fruiting etc. Just take them out at sucker out out below ground with your secateurs. That advice came from primrose with our new plants. I'll look the paperwork out and add anything else they said.

Keep a bit of the soil around them if you can, it keeps the mycorrhizal colony about the roots in place and helps them get established. If you can't due to weeds or beasties you can't. We moved some of our plants and had to take all the soil off because it was totally infested with couch grass roots.

question
Raspberry Canes

Started by daffodil on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 22:59
by tode
xx
Raspberry Canes

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 22:39
by Trillium
xx
Raspberry Canes

Started by Johne48 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 26, 2012, 15:33
by noshed
xx
Old Raspberry Canes?

Started by Cheshire Phill on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 24, 2008, 15:27
by woodburner

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 48 queries.