Asparagus

• 8 Replies

rogertb

• Experienced Member
Asparagus
« on: May 23, 2014, 15:40 »
Hi chaps, I bought some asparagus plugs (not sure if that's the correct term and I can't find the name of the company I got them from), but I planted them as per the instructions in the autumn, I also planted a few crowns bought from a local reputable garden centre, in early spring, only one plant has shown some growth (from the early spring ones) and nothing else at all - should I give up and start again or might I get something. I know I shouldn't be harvesting this year but there is NO growth at all to look at let alone cut ... Roger

ghost61

Re: Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 16:10 »
Doesn't sound good.  Did you plant them on ridged sieved soil?  They don't like heavy soil when they are young.

The crowns should be showing good growth by now given the mild spring, so sounds like you have some duds.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 16:27 »
Even a single weak shoot is better than nothing, which would probably mean they're kaput - I don't really understand the thinking behind what seems to be the relatively new idea of autumn planted asparagus, especially young plug plants - doesn't seem to give them much chance to establish before they have to face the winter.  :unsure:

As Ghost61 has mentioned, asparagus doesn't like waterlogging at all, which was a distinct possibility this past winter.

A thick mulch (spent compost is OK) is helpful to protect them if you do need to/decide to try again.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

diospyros

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 20:56 »
Not sure this is helpful or not.  But this morning I planted my new asparagus crowns, because the three I bought cheap in pots last autumn and planted out had shown no signs of anything.  I was just digging the hole for the last crown and out came a bedraggled tangle of roots - lo and behold one of the dud crowns from last year.  Now the roots looked quite firm and fleshy still, and had thin little white feeder roots apparently growing fresh off them, but I couldn't find any buds.  Still, it looked worth popping it back in.

So I suppose my advice based on that might be to at least be very careful if you dig in the same place to put new crowns in.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 21:44 »
my new ones planted about 8 weeks ago are only just showing so give them longer.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 17:35 »
I would have thought that they should be showing by now if you planted in Autumn.
I planted 10 plants back in October and all but one shooted about a month ago. They are now about 2ft or so high and developing ferns.

The reason I chose Autumn planting is that you gain a year. So this is their first years growth and next year I can take at least one spear off each and the following year start harvesting more.

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 20:47 »
my new ones planted about 8 weeks ago are only just showing so give them longer.

I agree. I planted some crowns 5 or 6 weeks ago. All had shoots at the time, but some died back. Then a few days ago the ones that had died back started producing new shoots.

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 08:30 »
Thanks you all, as ever, for your really helpful responses, I don't want to leave it another year by continuing to wait so maybe I put some more in, getting a bit expensive though !

Best Roger

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 09:19 »
A combination of curiosity and 'nothing to lose' would probably lead me to uncover one to find out what's happening - if you approach it with the patience and care of an archaeological dig you may find that it's alive but very slow, although it is a long time since last autumn and you may find nothing at all.

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
Help with asparagus.

Started by allstars_princess on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 24, 2008, 10:06
by allstars_princess

Page created in 0.383 seconds with 31 queries.