Deer eating the rhubarb

• 4 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Deer eating the rhubarb
« on: May 09, 2022, 21:22 »
At online resources such as www.groworganic.com I have read that deer will turn up their noses at eating rhubarb leaves, due to the contained oxalic acid. However, apparently our whitetail deer are illiterate, and have not been doing their required reading. Today, two large rhubarb leaves were pruned off of one of my rhubarb plants. They were inside my fence, but apparently not far enough inside.

Additional reading at https://naturesmace.com/do-deer-eat-rhubarb/ educated me further.  Maybe this is what the deer were reading? Although the leaves are toxic to deer, it takes a lot to harm them (maybe 5 to 10 pounds of leaves).

Has anyone else experienced deer (or anything else) eating their rhubarb? What other allegedly deer-repellant plants have your deer mowed down?
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Rob the rake

Re: Deer eating the rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 22:23 »
Judging by the lack of replies I suspect your problem is a local one, bud. I'd love to be a fly on that particular wall (or fence!) The few times I've experienced the presence of deer in the wild, usually whilst tucked away in a quiet fishing spot, has been very special.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 22:39 »
Judging by the lack of replies I suspect your problem is a local one, bud. I'd love to be a fly on that particular wall (or fence!) The few times I've experienced the presence of deer in the wild, usually whilst tucked away in a quiet fishing spot, has been very special.

Your reply gave me a chuckle . . . "special" sightings happen close to daily here.  The whitetail deer are at close to nuisance levels.  They have fawns twice a year, sometimes two at  time.  I have seen small herds of them (5 to 10 individuals).  They eat just about any plant you can think of; beans, roses thorns and all), okra . . . oddly, I have never seen them bother lettuce or anything in the mustard or onion families.  When I have to commute into Atlanta, I leave when it's dark, and nearly always see one or two, sometimes more.

People do hunt them, but this area is residential, so that can't happen here.  I wouldn't be interested anyway (no venison for me).  If they wander elsewhere (non-residential), the hunters can have them!

My best option is a fence.

Rob the rake

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 23:06 »
The biggest mammal on my own plot is a hedgehog! He/she is entirely unconcerned by my presence and has often ambled past my booted feet as I sit admiring the sunset. There are deer in the nearby wood, but they're rarely seen.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 07:28 »
I have seen sheep eat rhubarb leaves. For us dear are rare but just recently have seen one early in the mornings
Muntjac are more common but are quite elusive.

xx
What's eating me Rhubarb ?

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 20, 2008, 22:41
by gobs
xx
something is eating my rhubarb

Started by billycasper on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 20:16
by greenhead
xx
What's eating my rhubarb!

Started by Debbie D on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2009, 13:38
by shaun
xx
Ants eating my rhubarb?!

Started by qualitynotquantity on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 21, 2013, 11:42
by savbo

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 43 queries.