carrots

• 3 Replies

rowlandwells

carrots
« on: May 10, 2022, 09:21 »
does anyone know if you can grow carrots in trays or module's as I noticed carrot plants [nates]where being sold in a garden centre I believe you can sow and grow Paris carrot variety  in trays but I'm not sure about normal carrots transplanted ?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: carrots
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 21:27 »
It will depend partly on the variety: as you say, there are some very short rooted varieties.

Also, on how well developed the tap root already is inside the module. I was foolish enough to buy some parsnips in modules - they remained a nice golf ball shape even at harvest from the open ground!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Rob the rake

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 22:11 »
does anyone know if you can grow carrots in trays or module's as I noticed carrot plants [nates]where being sold in a garden centre I believe you can sow and grow Paris carrot variety  in trays but I'm not sure about normal carrots transplanted ?

Root plants that immediately throw down a long taproot after germination are poor candidates for transplanting. As Yorkie has already said, unless the plants being sold were the round type of carrot they don't have a chance of doing well. I've read of folk who set carrots off in kitchen roll inners or similar, but you'd still have to plant them out at a very early stage for any guarantee of success.

The only roots that have worked in modules for me are swedes, turnips, mangels and beet (alliums too, of course.) Kohl rabi transplant well, but they're more of a swollen stem than a root.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 22:42 by Rob the rake »
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

Christine

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 06:56 »
It will depend partly on the variety: as you say, there are some very short rooted varieties.

Also, on how well developed the tap root already is inside the module. I was foolish enough to buy some parsnips in modules - they remained a nice golf ball shape even at harvest from the open ground!
Been there, found the same, won't repeat.  :lol:

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
Carrots -RIP.

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 10:46
by Highfield
question
No dig bed for carrots

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 17, 2011, 20:33
by Trillium
xx
Carrots to sow now??

Started by allotmentvegigirl on Grow Your Own

235 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 16:53
by tam

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 37 queries.