feeding your plot

• 27 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: feeding your plot
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2022, 12:03 »
HH, you're a braver man than I am.

I think if I had a lorry load of pig manure delivered to the house,  :ohmy:  :unsure: I'd have a massive crop of neighbors bearing torches and pitchforks  >:(  :mad:  :ohmy:  :dry:

Mrs. Subversive might have been leading them too!
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Rob the rake

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2022, 23:23 »
Those lucky enough to live by the sea can take advantage of nature's bounty when the seaweed's thrown ashore at the end of the year. It isn't a soil improver in the same way as bulky organics, but as a growth stimulator it seems to have no equal. I mulch with it in late autumn and early winter and let the worms do the rest - worms which subsequently show up dressed in incredibly vivid colours. if it does the worms this much good just imagine what it's doing for the plants!

Plants grown on areas which have been "seaweeded" are not only way more vigorous and healthy, but show much improved pest resistance. I read somewhere that it's slightly alkaline and the effect on my clay soil seems to bear this out, with a more crumbly texture similar to that achieved by liming.

The stuff doesn't add humus to the soil, so I still add bulky organics at mulching time, generally my own compost, or occasional applications of horse poop from a local source.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2022, 16:45 »
Useful thread about whether - or in what circumstances - it is lawful to take seaweed from the seashore:

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=86170.0
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2022, 20:51 »
make a few compost bins out of pallets and get food scraps from you local pubs.  it soon builds up.
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

Rob the rake

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2022, 23:42 »
Horse manure that I test for amniopyralids...

May I ask how you are doing this?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2022, 23:50 »
That’ll be the bean test.

Beans, peas, tomatoes and white clover show aminopyralid contamination quickly.

Fill some pots with suspected compost and others with a known ‘safe’ compost,. Sow the seeds and wait for approximately 3 – 4 weeks.

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2022, 22:26 »
Horse manure that I test for amniopyralids, chicken manure pellets, blood,fish & bone & homemade compost that has fresh manure layered through it & copious amounts of chicken manure from the pen clear out twice a year are all I use. Spent compost from the greenhouse tomatoes & pots gets used around the garden usually as a mulch with additions of all but homemade compost as I make it all at the plot & there’s horsetail/marestail there & non at home so I don’t risk bringing it to the garden.
As I now do no dig throughout I’m using less chicken pellets & blood,fish & bone as it just doesn’t need it.
In the tunnel last year (1st year of having it) I didn’t feed the tomatoes,cues,peppers at all with any additional feeds aka Charles Dowding advice & they were brilliant, they were all planted in the ground. Last year was 4th year no dig for me. So savings all round if I don’t need to buy any in as the manure is free.
Hi Snowdrop, just wondered how you are managing the mairs tail if you're doing no dig? I'm trying no dig in some areas where there is only a bit of it but in other areas I'm not sure if the veg will get disrupted. I've been digging and removing as much root as possible so reluctant to let it get a hold again by going no dig??? Any advice appreciated  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2022, 21:23 »
I just trowel it out, not digging a great hole, just done the fruit cage today 6x3 mtrs & got a big tub trug full. It’s quite satisfying to loosen it with the trowel & pull until it snaps, sometimes with quite a long root on it. I read somewhere once to let it grow 7-10cms & then trowel it out as described previously & this weakens it. It has helped around the rest of the plot, but last year the fruit cage got neglected so it’s made a comeback in there, so this year I need to up my game  :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Rob the rake

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2022, 23:13 »
Useful thread about whether - or in what circumstances - it is lawful to take seaweed from the seashore:

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=86170.0
Regardless of the legal arguments no-one seems to mind how much one takes when it's heaped up into mountains, each weighing several tons, and smelling rather strongly! I've been approached by the police more than once - mainly to see what I was up to after dark, dragging big black bins around in the sea front car park! Once I explain that it's the only time I can get easy access they're perfectly happy for me to continue; even inquisitive about how to use it and why it works. I've lost count of the conversations I've had with other members of the public who've shown an interest.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2022, 10:21 »
Lucky you Rob to have friendly police, where I used to live in North Kent, they weren't as friendly  :( Regardless of local response, I'm sure you understand that this site needs to give the correct legal advice on seaweed collection.

Rob the rake

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2022, 21:11 »
Lucky you Rob to have friendly police, where I used to live in North Kent, they weren't as friendly  :( Regardless of local response, I'm sure you understand that this site needs to give the correct legal advice on seaweed collection.

Indubitably. Just pointing out that with accommodating authorities and a friendly attitude there's every chance that permission can be had.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2022, 22:34 »
Indubitably. Just pointing out that with accommodating authorities and a friendly attitude there's every chance that permission can be had.

Well it is good news your local police were OK about it, but if you take 5 minutes to read the link suggested, it is the landowner or the local authorities you check with, depending on who owns the piece of seashore you want to harvest from and you do that before helping yourself.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2022, 09:28 »

The police cannot give permission to collect seaweed, they would be breaking the law too.

xx
Feeding my plot

Started by Rincon on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 28, 2015, 15:00
by brokenglass
xx
Feeding my plot

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 18, 2017, 22:56
by mumofstig
xx
Feeding PSB

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2014, 21:29
by bravemurphy
question
feeding my veg

Started by Denny on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 25, 2012, 16:32
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 53 queries.