Bird watch

• 142 Replies

chrissie B

Re: Bird watch
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2020, 15:56 »
We just have the usual spuggies pigeons
Seagulls but have been adopted for 3 or days by a pidgeon white and grey.
Chrissie b
IMG-20200625-WA0000.jpeg
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Bird watch (variety pack)
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2020, 11:21 »
We have quite a (North American) assortment.

We have seed feeders that attract northern cardinals, chickadees, house finches, goldfinches, tufted titmouse, Carolina wrens, creepers, and a few others.  We also have a couple "nectar" feeders that are just for hummingbirds (ruby-throated, our only kind; tiny and bold as brass, they engage in aerial dog-fights).

There is a pair of red-shouldered hawks that nested in our back garden last year, but preferred my neighbor's trees this year.  Their calling (screeching) will wake you if the chickens don't.  A red-tailed hawk (larger than a red-shouldered) visited last week, joined up with a mate, then the pair moved on.  Common ravens mob both the red-shouldered and red-tailed.  Our owls are mostly barred owls, which caterwaul like lunatics if you get two or more of them together at night.  All of them are good for snake and "tree rat" control.

We have two types of vultures here, turkey vultures and black vultures.  They bother no one, and no one bothers them.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mrs bouquet

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2020, 11:49 »
A little bird has been sitting atop the garden gate about 3 feet from my back door.    I wonder if it might be a juvenile sparrow, but it is very black with a white chest.  It is looking at insects as they fly by and opening its beak hoping they will fly in.
It has been there now for about 60 minutes, and not at all frightened of me inside the back door.  It is wobbling when the wind gusts, and sometimes stretches its wings.    So sweet, but I need to go out of the door ! - oh, its just gone -  arh.     Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snowdrops

« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2020, 08:48 »
Now that I’ve finally rehomed my late mother’s 2 cats( 4 & a bit years,secretly I do miss them a bit) I’ve reinstated the bird feeder & I’m enjoying seeing what we get. So far blackbirds,but on the ground feeding of course, starlings hoovering up the meal worms but on the fat ball feeder as well, a magpie on the fat balls as well, a few sparrows & a Robin. It’s really amazing how quickly they’ve found the feeder tree thing & how quickly we saw an increase in birds in the garden once the cats have gone. I can see bird food is going to be more expensive than the cats at this rate lol
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

snowdrops

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2020, 08:50 »
Forgot to say I’m going to get the binoculars out & put some in the conservatory & bedroom so I can get a better look at them. Oh & yesterday our little grandson visited , he’s very observant & straight away noticed the bird feeder with a pigeon on.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2020, 12:21 »
There's a new batch of sparrow fledglings chattering away and pecking at everything in the garden veg bed, this morning :)
As much as I love to see them, they set about a row of swede seedlings   ::) I hope I got the covers on in time so they'll regrow.

Mr Dog

« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2020, 11:04 »
Not garden birds, but we enjoyed our annual trip to Bempton to see the sea birds yesterday
P1020396.JPG
P1020400.JPG
P1020407.JPG
P1020427.JPG
P1020449.JPG
P1020389.JPG

Mr Dog

« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2020, 11:28 »
I was wondering why Mrs Pheasant was being quite vocal till I spotted these.
IMG_20200621_121843.jpg

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2020, 20:11 »
I have been trying to capture a proper photograph of our ruby-throated hummingbirds, to no avail.

We have at least a half dozen that visit feeders in our garden.  They are tiny, about 3 inches long, and weigh only slightly over a tenth of an ounce (about the weight of a penny). The problem photographing them is that they are highly active (mostly a blur in snaps), and rarely come to rest except fairly high in our trees.  The feathers on their backs and sides are irridescent green in sunlight, but appear dull gray in the shade. Only the males get the ruby throats, and these appear black in shade, but flash brilliant metallic red in the sun (think ruby red sequins). I have one photo that I might try to post later, but the bird is in shade, and just looks like a small gray bird.  Better yet, look for good photos online posted by a proper photographer.

They are fun to watch this time of year.  In the spring you mostly see adults going about their business. Starting in July, the juveniles start flying, so you see many more birds.  They always seem to be dog fighting; they are very acrobatic flyers.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 20:14 by Subversive_plot »

snowdrops

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2020, 06:39 »

Good camouflage

snowdrops

« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2020, 06:42 »
Sub, when’s I visited my sister in the West Indies years ago I was amazed how quick & tiny the hummingbirds were, they really are very beautiful, how lovely to have them visit your garden. I think that’s where JK Rowling got the idea for the flying keys in one of the Harry Potter books

Mr Dog

« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2020, 14:00 »

Good camouflage

Yes, took me a while to figure out there were 7 of them settling down there! I didn't hang around nearby for long but checked before I went home that none had got caught up in the butterfly netting.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2020, 16:09 »
I am really disappointed.  I bought a small plastic bird feeder to go on my kitchen window to watch them as I sit here and work.  Nothing not a tweet,  moved it to a pergola post, still nothing.    This morning I have moved it to the garage window.    How long now will it be if they come at all. :(  Mrs Bouquet

jezza

« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2021, 14:51 »
Hello just had a Bullfinch eating Nigella seed in the front garden  it flew before I could take a photo jezza

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2021, 12:23 »
Goldfinches  :)

One of my close neighbours loved birds and fed all sorts. He had a nigella seed feeder which attracted loads of them.  Sadly he passed away so I went and bought a feeder and took over feeding responsibilities. After weeks of waiting, they have finally decided it is safe and started using it  :D

I already had a fat ball feeder for the blue tits and sparrows, plus make sure the robins and blackbirds don’t go short.  The female blackbird must be getting ready to start nesting soon. She is waiting each morning and quite insistent. I get shouted at for feeding the chickens first  ::)

xx
Great British Bird Watch 2024

Started by Ali T on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post January 29, 2024, 16:54
by mrs bouquet
xx
Watch out for the con men

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post April 29, 2020, 15:08
by Growster...
xx
What am I supposed to watch on the TV?

Started by wighty on Chatting on the Plot

54 Replies
Last post October 13, 2020, 12:12
by mrs bouquet
xx
Interesting watch from BBC4

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2018, 11:30
by JayG

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 55 queries.