'Naked' Apple Sauce

• 5 Replies

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
'Naked' Apple Sauce
« on: September 27, 2011, 17:54 »
I made what I've called 'naked' apple sauce last night to go with some pork chops - 'naked' because there was no added sugar, preservative, fat or whatever .... ooooh, get me!!  Basically, I had four large-ish fallen apples from my Cox's Orange Pippin tree, so decided to use them along with the zest and juice of a couple of oranges, some crushed cardamom pods and a little ground cinnamon.  I just peeled the apples and cut them into chunks, put them in a non-stick pan along with the orange juice and zest, added the spices and then allowed it to cook down on a very low heat for about twenty minutes or so, stirring from time to time until pulpy but still with some chunky bits.  Obviously it won't keep for long in its fresh state, so I've put it into some mini containers (the little plastic ones from mini houmous stacks) and frozen the sauce as indivdual portions.  The orange zest really made it come alive - hope the freezer doesn't deaden the flavours!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: 'Naked' Apple Sauce
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 17:57 »
That sounds great, and I like the idea of using the mini humous tubs.  Hope the plastic doesn't split in the freezer.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 21:22 »
Chesh, we just shove a few chunks of apple in the microwave for a few minutes.

Same result I fear...

Great post  though - and a new idea forming...

sarajane

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 10:14 »
ooooh luvly.

Thats my mind made up for tea tonight.  Off to get the pork chops from the freezer :)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 13:01 »
Hi Growster - I've done the microwave thing too, but I had several apples this time which I knew wouldn't keep for long as they were fallers (and a couple had been 'got at' by bugs), so that's why I had to cook them all up at once.  The prep was speedy, and as I was cooking the rest of the meal, the time on the stove didn't matter.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 21:40 »
Hi Growster - I've done the microwave thing too, but I had several apples this time which I knew wouldn't keep for long as they were fallers (and a couple had been 'got at' by bugs), so that's why I had to cook them all up at once.  The prep was speedy, and as I was cooking the rest of the meal, the time on the stove didn't matter.

Spoken by someone who understands cooking schedules a damn sight better than this Mr Growster does...

I'm always in the way when Mrs Growster is working her socks off in the kitchen! Unless I suggest a few medicinal tinctures from thje fridge...

question
Apple sauce

Started by matilda duck on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post December 28, 2009, 13:07
by matilda duck
xx
Apple sauce - suitable jars

Started by Maryann on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post February 25, 2013, 10:50
by Maryann
xx
apples what can i make other than apple sauce.

Started by LILLILEAF on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post October 12, 2022, 06:04
by Snowboar
xx
Tom sauce

Started by sclarke624 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post September 10, 2009, 22:51
by tode

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 34 queries.