Apple sauce - suitable jars

• 12 Replies

Maryann

• Experienced Member
Apple sauce - suitable jars
« on: February 20, 2013, 11:28 »
Can anyone help me with a query about suitable jars and processing for apple sauce?
I have a quantity of apple pulp and also some quinces which will be juiced later and will have the pulp from them to add to the apples.
I would like to make Quince & apple sauce and pot it up into 8oz jars with normal twist lids.

Now - the problem I have is the recipe I am using is from the River Cottage collection and Pam Corbin says to boil the jars (after potting) in a deep pan for 10 mins. This is presumably the water bath method. Can I do this to ordinary jam jars? She doesn't suggest this for all her recipes so again I'm assuming it has to be done with apple sauce for a reason.

Can anyone throw any light on this for me please as anxious to use up my lovely apple and quince pulp in this way.
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Apple sauce - suitable jars
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 13:49 »
I waterbath tomato sauce in ordinary jam jars, so yes, they should be ok.

Just try to use jars that have a dimple, then it's easy to see that they've made a good vacuum seal  ;)

Spana

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 14:11 »
yep, i use them too. Got apple sauce in them sitting on my shelves as we speak :D

I love the smell of quince, lucky you :D

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 14:57 »
Thank you so much for such a quick reply - it's been driving me nuts trying to find out as nothing on internet helps. I want to use small jars as who wants 1lb jars of apple sauce! I do have some very old kilner jars given to me by an old friend but need to get the replacement bands for some and the screw rings for others.

Anyway - I am very grateful for your replies and can now get on and use up my pulp. The quinces came from Covent Garden - my lovely daughter knew I was looking for some and asked one of the traders and he ordered some in for her. £5 for 5 huge fruits  :D  I'm well pleased with that as will produce juice from them and add remaining pulp to apple for the sauce so no waste. This is my first time using proper quinces as only had the ornamental ones last year so its all a bit new to me but they smell wonderful.

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 15:32 »
This is interesting....I think!
Just read an article about apple sauce which suggested putting your potted up jars of apple sauce in the dishwasher and running it on suitable high temperature programme.

Not sure I'm brave enough to try that  ??? Would worry the jar might explode I think.

However - I have cooked a whole salmon in the dishwasher and it was perfect. Had to wrap it up in several layers of foil obviously but it worked a treat.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 15:39 »
I'm not sure that the dishwash water would stay boiling for the required time, typically 15 - 20 mins  :unsure:

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 15:43 »
No that's true - see you know that sort of stuff, whereas it goes right over my head  :blush:

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 14:47 »
The dishwasher method is definitely NOT recommended. As MoS says, the temperature will not remain high enough for long enough to do a proper seal. Dishwashers get only as high as the preset waterline temperature is set, which is only about 125 to 140F. A water bath goes to 212F (boiling point) for the needed time.

The point is that it takes a while for the bottle contents to heat up to the boiling point plus cook for a required time to be safe. You'll never get this in a dishwasher.

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 15:21 »
Well I've had a go and made 3 small jars of apple & quince sauce (the square shape jars you get mint sauce in from supermarkets).
I filled up my large maslin pan with water and put jars on a folded tea towel and brought it up to a boil and used a thermometer to make sure it boild at 212F. I had tightened the lids only slightly and took a chance they were water tight. I used an old round metal tray covered in baco foil as a lid and even though it didn't fit the maslin pan completely the water still boiled steadily at 212F. I processed the jars for 15 mins and then took them out to stand on a board to cool but checked the lids to tighten them and found that 2 were fine. The 3rd would not tighten properly - I'm wondering if the intense heat had damaged the seal. The sauce was right up to the lid as well and next time I would put less in the jars - I should have known that!
Anyway I put a new sterilised lid on the 3rd jar and will use that jar first. Will be interesting to see how they keep.
The remaining quince pulp I'm going to turn into Membrillo as I've not tried that yet and I have 2 litres of juice to turn into jelly. So all in all the quinces have proved to be excellent value for money. I do so envy those who have a quince tree in their gardens and get all that lovely fruit for free. We have got a wish list of fruit trees for when we move ;-)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 15:44 »
Sounds as though you're not letting anything go to waste  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 19:18 »
Doing my best  :D

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 23:26 »
Jar contents should be 1" or more below the top of the jar. Usually the bottom of the neck (where the rings are) is the highest you should fill a jar. This gives space for the vacuum seal to develop and not overflow the jar during the water bath time.

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 10:50 »
Yes thanks for that Trillium - I'll remember next time. Silly of me really, I did know that but just completely forgot in my efforts to get all the air bubbles out I overfilled.
Appreciate all the help and ideas on here it's brilliant  :)

xx
Jars for pasta sauce

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

29 Replies
Last post September 11, 2015, 20:37
by compostqueen
question
Apple sauce

Started by matilda duck on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post December 28, 2009, 13:07
by matilda duck
xx
'Naked' Apple Sauce

Started by cheshirecheese on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 21:40
by Growster...
xx
apples what can i make other than apple sauce.

Started by LILLILEAF on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post October 12, 2022, 06:04
by Snowboar

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 39 queries.