Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.

• 497 Replies

Thrift

Re: Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.
« Reply #210 on: January 10, 2011, 08:18 »
A friend nearby was mixing up food for their pet labrador, who was patiently waiting outside the back door, when he was aware of something beside him in the kitchen. It was a fox! :ohmy:

He said he didn't know whether to kick it or what, but in the end gave it some dog food which it ate alongside the lab. This is miles out in the country so not an urban fox. There are three children under six in that house so he needs to be very careful.

8doubles

« Reply #211 on: January 10, 2011, 08:59 »
A friend nearby was mixing up food for their pet labrador, who was patiently waiting outside the back door, when he was aware of something beside him in the kitchen. It was a fox! :ohmy:

He said he didn't know whether to kick it or what, but in the end gave it some dog food which it ate alongside the lab. This is miles out in the country so not an urban fox. There are three children under six in that house so he needs to be very careful.

Sounds like someone is missing a pet fox who knows what the sound of a food bowl rattling means. :)

Thrift

« Reply #212 on: January 10, 2011, 14:41 »
I've met three lately that will stay close to the car when you stop. I've talked to them and they display no fear whatsoever. Maybe people have been feeding them?

evie2

« Reply #213 on: January 10, 2011, 16:27 »
I really wish people would stop feeding them and encouraging them into back gardens >:(

They're not pets, they're wild animals and should be left to be wild >:( >:( >:(
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Paul Plots

« Reply #214 on: January 10, 2011, 17:03 »
I really wish people would stop feeding them and encouraging them into back gardens >:(

They're not pets, they're wild animals and should be left to be wild >:( >:( >:(

And that includes staying off of my plot... You think they're wild?!
I'm furious  :mad:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

evie2

« Reply #215 on: January 10, 2011, 17:30 »
 ::) :lol:

pekinpete

« Reply #216 on: January 11, 2011, 11:38 »
having like a lot of members i have also seen result of fox attack it seems that they go in to a blood lust and just kill,hope this wont upset members but when we still had hunting had no trouble now see them any time of the day,only thing that seems to work for me is a pair of parsons jack russells they seem to smell a fox since having them no problems(touch wood)have also put up electric fence for night time

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #217 on: January 11, 2011, 11:41 »
fox hunting killed very few foxes, most were and still are killed by cars. Sadly people feed foxes (my father in law for one  :mad:) and others catch them then release them elsewhere  :mad:.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #218 on: January 11, 2011, 13:42 »
Our neighbour lost 8 of his 9 ducks last night  :(

2 bodies missing the others just left and the 1 remaining duck cowering in the corner...so sad.

I now feel sick as I have 6 gorgeous chooks and I am dreading going home in case it's returned.  I feel awful as mine were out creating Sunday night at around 5pm, which is very unusual for them, so I guess it must have been sniffing around....I didn't put 2 & 2 together and warn my neighbour  :(

My husband is now on strict orders to regularly 'wee' round the chicken run in the hope this might deter it enough to go and look eleswhere for desert!!!!
Emma

joyfull

« Reply #219 on: January 11, 2011, 13:47 »
sadly whilst this may be a deterrent it is not guaranteed to work and hungry foxes can strike anytime of the day or night - we just have to balance whether we want completely free ranging or protected by electric fencing or secure run .

hillfooter

« Reply #220 on: January 11, 2011, 14:29 »
fox hunting killed very few foxes, most were and still are killed by cars. Sadly people feed foxes (my father in law for one  :mad:) and others catch them then release them elsewhere  :mad:.

True that hunts kill very few foxes and as a control it wasn't that significant however the hunts activities did tend to reduce the local hotspots and help distribute them more evenly as well as teach them a healthy respect for people a trait urban foxes don't share.

HF
Truth through science.

joyfull

« Reply #221 on: January 11, 2011, 14:35 »
hunting still takes place not too far from here and is legal so long as you go out with a bird of prey, local traditions are kept alive.

hillfooter

« Reply #222 on: January 11, 2011, 14:50 »
hunting still takes place not too far from here and is legal so long as you go out with a bird of prey, local traditions are kept alive.

Yes we still get two or three local hunts, the Oakley, Enfield Chase and the Cambridgeshire.  There was a rather amusing incident last year when we watched the hunt crossing the fields next to our fields and chasing a fox up onto the oposite hill where they must have lost its scent as slinking along the hedgerow heading back was the fox who crossed the fiels at the side of us and disappeared into the hedge.  He was a bit too quick for me as I grabbed my camera and all I got was his tail just visible disappearing into the hedge.
HF

Thrift

« Reply #223 on: January 11, 2011, 15:14 »

True that hunts kill very few foxes and as a control it wasn't that significant however the hunts activities did tend to reduce the local hotspots and help distribute them more evenly as well as teach them a healthy respect for people a trait urban foxes don't share.

HF

In total agreement with both. I have just learned that our hunt is out next week and is sure to visit our hotspot. It is not banned here so we get the real thing and maybe all our 'pet foxes' will stop being so complacent and realise there is some danger in the world.  ::)

Paul Plots

« Reply #224 on: January 11, 2011, 15:34 »
fox hunting killed very few foxes, most were and still are killed by cars.

Almost worth taking driving lessons  ;)

xx
That time year for Veg

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 09:37
by madcat
xx
Moulting! at this time of year

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 16:19
by LittleRedHen
xx
Third time broody this year, will this be last?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 17:22
by gracie
xx
FOX ALERT - the time of year

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 23:55
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 40 queries.