Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.

• 497 Replies

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
Re: Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.
« Reply #450 on: January 29, 2013, 01:31 »
Next door has had a hen taken by the fox, he has an insecure setup and hen was taken about 1600hrs. This means I've now become over protective of mine and they've spent most of the last week in their walk in run. Shame the fox has a taste for birds now and will surely be back.
x1 Light Sussex x1 Black Rock x1 Bluebell x1 Silver Sussex

Debbieta

« Reply #451 on: January 30, 2013, 19:31 »
Hi,
We often have upto 4 adult foxes in our garden and by morning have to side step their 'deposits'.  So far we have been lucky, although the shed and run are pretty impregable.  When we watch them (so far) they haven't seemed too bothered with the chicken 'corner' but wouldn't let them out to wander unattended as we can't be too sure how close they are during the day as we are in the middle of  nowhere and all manner of wildlife suddenly appear!
Is there ever a quite time of year when foxes aren't such a nuisance?

Springlands

« Reply #452 on: January 31, 2013, 15:03 »
Unfortunately no - whilst you have hens there is always a danger from foxes if the hens are not adequately protected.  :(

Sue33

« Reply #453 on: January 31, 2013, 15:20 »
we had a fox in our garden at 11am last Sunday, I went down to let the chickens out and it was behind the pampas grass, gave me the shock of my life, if it hadn't moved I would have had no idea, not sure if it was sleeping or lurking  >:(  managed to shut the girls back in their run and it skipped over the fence - really shook me up though.  The girls weren't making a fuss at all that's why I think it may have slept there all night and I woke it up  :unsure:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 15:35 by Sue33 »

pepsi100

« Reply #454 on: February 10, 2013, 13:14 »
Just out of interest, does rat poison have any affect on foxes ?

The foxes were over the bins last night and were raking over the rat poison boxes
It's all about the journey, not the destination

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #455 on: February 11, 2013, 05:37 »
no idea - it may depend on what type. It would be best to contact the manufacturer but please do not use it for something that it wasn't intended for.
Staffies are softer than you think.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #456 on: February 11, 2013, 08:32 »
Well foxproofed Mrs B!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

pepsi100

« Reply #457 on: February 11, 2013, 08:46 »
no idea - it may depend on what type. It would be best to contact the manufacturer but please do not use it for something that it wasn't intended for.

Not my bins or bait boxes, they belong to the flats across the road, the bins are like a dumpster, got lids on em, but the foxes get in and bring out rubbish bags and scatter them all over, there isnt supposed to be food put in bags, but they still put it in there, the bait boxes were topped up on Friday, dont kknow what bait they used but it attracted the attention of the foxes, hence my question does rat bait kill or affect them ?

Mrs Bee

« Reply #458 on: February 11, 2013, 08:54 »
We try to stay vigilant too and check the electric fence daily to make sure it is working properly. There are so many of the darn things  near us.

My sister has hens and she has lost three lots to foxes despite having an electric fence.

We went to the expense of putting prikka strips on the top of all our 6 foot fences to stop the foxes scrambling over them but to no avail. They continue to scramble over them.

Maybe Boris will be doing something about the excess of foxes in London after the dreadful fox attack on the little boy.

pepsi100

« Reply #459 on: February 11, 2013, 09:02 »
Maybe Boris will be doing something about the excess of foxes in London after the dreadful fox attack on the little boy.

I doubt it very much, he was in favour of the hunt banb, cant see him getting anyone to trap, kill old brer fox, even the councils arent bothered about the fox population around now, they think they are 'cute'

It wasnt the first attack, it wont be the last

Mrs Bee

« Reply #460 on: February 11, 2013, 10:18 »
Unfortunately I don't think it will be the last either. :(

I have just investigated the cost for getting pest control to trap and 'humanely' dispose of a fox and it is very expensive; between £50 to a £100. :(

Not too sure about Boris tho'. There seem to be hidden depths there underneath the buffoon topping.
Maybe I am being optomistic about him doing something :(

Thrift

« Reply #461 on: February 11, 2013, 13:57 »
I can't believe the number of people who don't believe that the baby was attacked by a fox. We all know just how brazen and fearless they can be.

They are bad enough in the country but I can well imagine how inured they become to the human species when born and reared in town.

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #462 on: February 11, 2013, 18:47 »
my chooks are on the allotment and you see local foxes all time of day ,one day last week bout 9am i was up there as usual to check and feed water etc,my run door is one that opens in 2 halfs id done the chooks and i quite often leave top half open why im there ,i was in my shed when sensed something looked round and big dog fox was walkin up my path not 10 ft from chooks and me shed next to them,so nothing does suprise me .

pepsi100

« Reply #463 on: February 11, 2013, 18:59 »
I listened to the news tonight, it looks like its all our fault these foxes are out there

These foxes have bred under sheds, in sheds, green houses, they have been treated like pets, people dont cover their bins with a heavy enough lids, they have been treated like pets, even fed by some

A muppet said that a cull of foxes isnt required, they are not a threat to people or pets

If foxes are seeen the councils wont touch them, but they advise a professional is contacted (at your cost)

So if you do have foxes and they are taking your hens, pets, its YOUR problem, not any official body (like the local council)

I wonder how that Mum feels about her baby now ?

I thought I remember reading about foxes coming into peoples homes and biting other kids some time back or am I wrong ?

Mrs Bee

« Reply #464 on: February 12, 2013, 09:29 »
We were yelling at the guy on the news last night too and OH emailed the program he was so angry.

We must all keep our doors and windows closed must we. :mad:

And yes you are right about the foxes getting in and mauling  2 twins.

No one would stand for wild dogs getting into our homes and gardens so why must we put up with foxes who are wild dogs.

Actually some councils do get in and shoot them. A friend of mine lives in Essex and told me about the posters they put up warning residents that a cull would be happening.

xx
That time year for Veg

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 09:37
by madcat
xx
FOX ALERT - the time of year

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 23:55
by hillfooter
xx
does anyone get to see their hens this time of year?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 13:26
by TeaPots
xx
Moulting! at this time of year

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 16:19
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 40 queries.