Onions...getting a small neck?

• 6 Replies

BicesterKev

• My Allotment Website
Onions...getting a small neck?
« on: May 13, 2013, 17:14 »
Hi, I got a nice little crop of onions last year but the foilage was quite large and led to what I considered unattractive onions as I didn't get a nice and small "stem" to them. It didn't detract from the taste of them but didn't look great. Is that a case of too much water getting on them or something else? I've got 200 in this year and would like to improve on last years efforts. I mixed some BBF into the soil prior to planting.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: Onions...getting a small neck?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 18:01 »
Hi B-Kev.. did you let them grow till they were ready to be pulled up i.e. Were they starting to dry off and fall over? If you dont let them grow out to the finish they will have bull necks. But in saying that the weather last year was so bad it could have been a factor to your crop.

BFB is a good all round fertilizer and you can add some potash later in about 6 weeks time as they love a sprinkling. 
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

BicesterKev

• My Allotment Website
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 18:10 »
Thanks for the replay gavin. I did get a bit impatient and pulled the neck over and then pulled them out a week or 2 later. I guess from what you are saying that the neck actually gets smaller...well I never knew that! From what I remember of them they were slightly green at the neck...in a good/raw way if you know what I mean.

fatcat1955

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 18:13 »
Never bend the neck's over, let them run their course.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 18:20 »
It used to be standard practice to bend the necks over, but the RHS now say this:

Quote from: RHS
Onions can be harvested when the foliage turns yellow and starts to topple over. Although it is sometimes suggested to bend over the foliage or gently lift the bulbs to break the roots this is no longer recommended.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 18:23 »
If the necks are thick because a flower head has been produced, then whether you nipped it off or not you will still have onions with thick necks which are hard to dry properly for storage.

Otherwise, bending over onion tops when they start to die down to hasten the ripening process seems to be going out of fashion, and I can see the logic of that. Growing conditions are bound to make a difference - if your onions are still growing away quite strongly in October you have to do something (yes, it has happened to me!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

crh75

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 14:03 »
I think planting too deep and also cause a thick neck.

xx
Onions-neck rot?

Started by penninehillbilly on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 14, 2010, 15:44
by Trillium
xx
bull neck on overwintred onions

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 07:16
by rachelsco
xx
Garlic - hard neck versus soft neck

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2015, 09:04
by Snoop
xx
Small Onions!

Started by redj on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 30, 2012, 08:45
by cricketwidow

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 40 queries.