Recipe for Pasta Sauce

• 8 Replies

Eblana

Recipe for Pasta Sauce
« on: September 01, 2014, 09:11 »
Hi all,  we had a glut of tomatoes while we were away (had told one of my plot neighbours to help herself but she only took a handful)  a lot of them are soft so I was going to make pasta sauce with them but I can't find a nice recipe that uses just fresh toms.  Would any of you nice people have a recipe I could use?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

crh75

Re: Recipe for Pasta Sauce
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 12:46 »
What I do is chuck all the toms in a large pan and simmer until all soft.  Using a stick bender I 'wazz' it all up then pass it through a fine sieve to remove skin and seeds.  This then goes in the freezer in usable quantity packs.  This can then easily be made into pasta sauce, soup, chilli etc when needed.

Eblana

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 22:07 »
Thanks Mum, tried it out yesterday and it is delicious.  Will be making more.

Crh.- I whizzed up some today and they are now safely tucked up in the freezer for soup and Ratatouille later in the year.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 07:01 »
We just chuck the whole lot in, skins and all, and blend them until they're all the same colour.

We find that the skins give just a little bit of 'bite' when used as a pasta sauce, and also bring some colour to soups etc!

Mrs Growster has absolutely forbidden me to freeze any more! I had to negotiate for a final corner of one freezer drawer - yes, only a tiny corner - by removing the ice cream tub, and I blended three more pounds and froze 'em flat, like a book (see Growster's vegetable library, passim)..;0)

joshpeckney

• Gardeners in Bristol
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 14:12 »
Here's mine................

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=84823.msg943597#msg943597

Great and classic recipe. I think you can add a dash of red vinegar and 1 teaspoon of sugar once you chop the tomatoes. It reminded me to make a tomato sauce soon enough, it's been a while. :)

Steveharford

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 19:56 »
Got started on my pasta sauce today. Lots of garlic and onions amongst it. One recipe I found used quite a few bay leaves as well as oregano and thyme which appealed to me so I have based it on that. Also it included grated carrot at the start and half a carrot bunged in 30 mins before the end. Counters the acidity apparently. If its good I will make a second batch tomorrow. Will probably add courgettes to one of them, as I think I read somewhere here(?) it was a good way to use some of them up as it bulks up the sauce.

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 06:42 »
Liking the idea of the carrots, will have to give that a try next time. Thanks Steve!

Steveharford

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 09:20 »
Well it all worked out really well. 2 hrs cooking yesterday and an hour this morning. zizzed it all with the handheld and I dont even think I need to sieve it. I usually put it through the mouli but as it is, by using the handheld it makes the whole process very simple. No skinning or deseeding. Having said that I will have a closer look this evening after work and see if I am happy with the consistency.

xx
Pasta sauce

Started by Elaine G on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post October 13, 2011, 19:06
by sunshineband
xx
Tomato/Pasta Sauce

Started by Reidragon on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

31 Replies
Last post August 25, 2007, 07:47
by allotmentnut
xx
Bottling pasta sauce

Started by Casey76 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post September 03, 2012, 22:10
by mumofstig
xx
Jars for pasta sauce

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

29 Replies
Last post September 11, 2015, 20:37
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 40 queries.