Breeding

• 3 Replies

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
Breeding
« on: June 10, 2010, 17:19 »
How easy is it to start breeding with your hens?
(This sounded better in my head than reading it back over :D)
I am looking to buy some land if i can & start breeding them along with other animals.
It is something my partner & i have thought about for a while & are seriously thinking about taking them plunge.
We are looking into everything we are thinking about before we decide if we ca make it work.
I would like to be able to breed rare breed poultry, but just wondered if anyone on here can give there opinion on breeding them.

Cheers Craig

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Breeding
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 18:11 »
the breeding part is easy - you will need seperate breeding pens to keep them pure. An unrelated cock to two or more hens (you can mate father to daughter but not brother to sister) from good stock. You needs an incubattor and a brooder shed. lots of feeders and drinkers of different sizes to suit different ages and sizes. A way of disposing unwanted cockerels and quite a bit of money to have a good set up. You would find it hard to make a living doing this, most just about break even.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 20:02 »
This is just one thing we are thinking about. We have other animals to run alongside we are also looking into.
We are doing all the thinking & planning well before we go anywhere near starting this.

I know proper planning is the key to getting it right as i did all this when i started my small cleaning business which i still do.
I earn a good fulltime wage from part time hours & starting something else off small would be nice to run alongside.
It is something we have always wanted to do but were afraid to even start looking.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 20:10 »
besides reading everything you can about this Craig also visit other setups so you can see how others do it (and how you can improve on their setups - there are some very bad ones out there) and start off with good strains of birds. Make sure your bio security is very good as people coming in from outside can bring infections with them.

xx
Breeding

Started by Debbieta on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 22, 2012, 21:41
by JaK
xx
Breeding?

Started by Knight Family on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 20:47
by death of rats
xx
breeding

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 08, 2008, 21:28
by jonny1982
xx
breeding

Started by Debbieta on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 22:30
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 39 queries.