To perch or not to perch!

• 7 Replies

Mrs Tanty

To perch or not to perch!
« on: February 11, 2010, 16:36 »
I'm after some advice please!
I have 3 lovely girls and they don't like to perch at night.  They potter off into the nest boxes and snuggle up together.  However, my better half says they should perch as it is better for their health (also stops nest boxes getting dirty).
So every evening I have to go out at 'bedtime' and then they will go into their beautifully handbuilt hen house and perch.
Do I need to do this?  And if yes, do I ever stand a chance of getting them to do it without me pointing them in the right direction?
 :(

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
Re: To perch or not to perch!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 16:46 »
Hello Mrs Tanty, I think you will find that most people have hens that do different things = I have two who perch and two that don't, but i think they move around a bit in the night and if it is a cold one they snuggle in the nest boxes. I don't try to stop them if they are comfortable that's more important.

Mrs Tanty

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 17:02 »
Hello BonnieBean!
Thank you for this.  I don't mind helping them to bed.  It is quite fun watching them potter home past the kitchen window (They're free range) and going out for a cuddle and guiding them into the right bed.  But, next week I'm away, and my son will be in charge.  He's very good but not quite as mad as me and I was worried that they might be ill if he leaves them in the nest box each night.
So thank you, I'll stop worrying!
 :D

lisa80

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 17:08 »
we have a silkie who has been sleeping on the floor ,near the door, i was worried about her getting a draft so hubby pops her in the nest box so at least shes warm :)shes over a year old now and clearly not happy with perching so as long as your girls can keep warm they should be ok.know what you mean by dirty nest boxes i poop scoop mine daily in the hope of keeping my eggs clean :)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 19:30 »
Hello and welcome to the mad worl of chuck keeping ;) how long have you had your hens, how old are they and what are they?... if they are ex-batts, they wont be used to roosting, and their legs may not be strong enough to do so if they are quite new to you as their muscles will be weak....of course if they are not ex-batts, then they probably just need re-educating ;)

Mrs Tanty

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 21:38 »
Hello Lisa and dizzylizzie!
Thank you for your advice.  I've had them since Easter.  They're not ex-batts.  I bought them from a local 'breeder' so they have odd names.  Mrs Brown is bright ginger, Henrietta is black with gold feathers around her neck and Bluebell is a most beautiful pale grey.  I think they are all hybrids.  They lay an egg a day and have lovely bright red combs.  They are a good size and don't seem at all weakly.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 04:09 »
hi, right then, well they probably just need re-educating then!.Personally, i dont have a problem with my girls sleeping in their nest boxes, as i poop scoop every morning when i get them up, however, lots of people do! There has been a lot of advice given on this matter, some people suggest lifting them up when they dozy, some people suggest blocking off the nest boxes. Have a look for old posts,or use the search engine facility to see what other ideas people have come up with and if people have found them to work or not. Dont worry about it being bad for them tho, some of mine are nest box sleepers and they are perfectly healthy :D

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 14:42 »
I too have three hens and mine too cosy up in the nest box.  In hotter weather one or two do perch sometimes.  I make sure I clean them out every day so that there isn't a build up of mess for them to sit on.  Other than that I don't believe it's a problem really...

xx
age of hen to perch

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 18:01
by joyfull
xx
perch

Started by samuria on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 21, 2013, 21:01
by nerdle
xx
what age to perch

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 09:14
by nzdunn
xx
new perch

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 29, 2013, 08:21
by ehs284

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 35 queries.