Radish and Lettuce planting

• 9 Replies

Tommy54321

Radish and Lettuce planting
« on: February 22, 2021, 09:38 »
Hello. I planted Radish and Lettuce in seed trays 2 weeks ago and they are growing well in the seed trays modules. My question is can I plant them out, or is it too soon, will any sort of frost kill them?? I worried that if i leave them too long in the module tray they will just fail. Thank you

PhilConnors

Re: Radish and Lettuce planting
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 11:17 »
Hi Tommy, depends on the breed of plant, the weather forecast and how much you need the space. If there's no pressure then as a general rule I'd personally keep them indoors for now.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 15:58 »
Not sure how the temps are down there but up here it will be very risky to plant out, our last frost in the tropics of Lancashire (Gods own county) is May13th, I tend to hang on a while as they are both pretty quick growers and to be honest, we are still cooking food rather than eating it raw  :lol:

I would normally put a few lettuce in the greenhouse for an early crop and sow 2nd weekend of March and transplant mid march.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 17:26 »
I sowed some in modules just over a month ago along with some cabbage under LED lights. They are getting close to needing to be planted out, so as the weather is relatively mild at the moment I have moved them to an unseated greenhouse to harden off a bit. If the weather is ok in a couple of weeks then I’ll plant out the lettuce in a raised bed with a piece of glass over it for protection. It would take a pretty hard frost to kill lettuce once it’s been hardened off. Do you have a cold frame or cloches?

Tommy54321

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 20:39 »
i dont have a cold frame, they are currently sitting in a plastic sheeted small greenhouse. Im just worried they will get either too big for the module if i wait to long. Could i plant them out and put them under a plastic tunnel??

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 08:55 »
Our winters usually bottom out at temperatures of -5° C, and the radishes and lettuce thrive outdoors in the ground, unprotected.  When you think your temperatures will stay that warm, or better, you should be safe to plant.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Christine

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 10:16 »
Round here I'd be more concerned with whether they can swim. It's still very wet underfoot.

jezza

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 13:04 »
Hello if the radish and lettuce get too big in the planting modules start eating them especially the lettuce young leaves   jezza

jaxter

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 14:32 »
Hello if the radish and lettuce get too big in the planting modules start eating them especially the lettuce young leaves   jezza
I wouldn’t put them out S Hants forecast is sleet in 2 weeks.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 09:13 »
I'd query transplanting radish at all. They don't like a lot of root disturbance and you have to be very careful. If you must sow indoors, sow thinly in pots and then move the pot outside, lock, stock and barrel.

Far better to not sow things too early!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Lettuce and Radish

Started by Bluedave on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 11:38
by VeggieVirgin
xx
radish & lettuce seeds looking the same

Started by Lulu on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 03, 2010, 23:56
by blackbob
xx
Probably a daft question... radish / lettuce in pots

Started by Spinosa on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 07:45
by gobs
xx
Planting radish with parsnip.

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 11:22
by Aidy

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 49 queries.