Sweet corn getting too high for my greenhouse - help!

• 27 Replies

Goosegirl

Since two years of no decent harvest, I started growing the variety "Swift" in my GH with great success. I am trying "Incredible" this year but there was no info as to their eventual height. Someone said on here that Incredible grows to 8 foot so what do you advise? So far, I have thought of leaving it until the tassels have produced pollen which is when I tap the stalks daily with a cane until no more falls off them, then cutting the top of the stalk with the tassels off.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

grendel

Re: Sweet corn getting too high for my greenhouse - help!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 12:28 »
take a pane of glass out of the roof and let them grow through?
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 13:53 »
Since two years of no decent harvest, I started growing the variety "Swift" in my GH with great success. I am trying "Incredible" this year but there was no info as to their eventual height. Someone said on here that Incredible grows to 8 foot so what do you advise? So far, I have thought of leaving it until the tassels have produced pollen which is when I tap the stalks daily with a cane until no more falls off them, then cutting the top of the stalk with the tassels off.

That would be me!  ;)

The British stockists of the seeds all seem to give details about the spacing but are a bit coy about the height!

US suppliers are a bit more forthcoming - you may just have to hope that they don't grow to 8' in UK greenhouses!  ::)

http://www.lacrosseseed.com/incredible-sweet-corn/

I don't think they'd miss their tassels after they'd done their job, although trying to arrange them so they drop their pollen onto the silks could be a bit of a challenge!

Mine are only about 2' tall at the moment (and outside in the garden!)  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 21:53 »
Im having the same problem in the pt they have hit roof and now are growingn down they must be getting on for10 feet full of large cobs too ,cant wait till end of month yummmm :tongue2:
diggity dig dig

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 11:36 »
Mine are currently just touching the sloping panes of the roof - no tassels as yet - will need a ladder if they go on as they are! I'll just keep my fingers crossed that when they form, I can tap the stalks to pollinate the cobs. I also have five more outside and they are about 4 foot tall. All look really healthy due to regular chicken manure pellet feeding.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 17:21 »
Outside mine are over six foot LOL and no sign of stopping yet  ??? At 5 foot 3 this could be a giggle

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 10:49 »
I'm 5 foot 4 and a bit, so we could compare notes!  :lol:

grendel

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 12:22 »
just wondering, how high is an elephants eye?
Grendel

barley

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 22:47 »
mine are outside and about 2ft high  :(  not even any sign of tassels - good job the broad beans are playing the growing good game   :D

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 08:29 »
I just have to ask.  Why grow them in the greenhouse? 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 08:32 »
Since two years of no decent harvest, I started growing the variety "Swift" in my GH with great success.

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 12:56 »
I just have to ask.  Why grow them in the greenhouse?
I did grow them successfully outside for a couple of years then had two years with nothing. I just tried it as an experiment and they went off like a rocket - as in rather "Swift"-ly and I had the best and fullest-pollinated cobs ever. I think the GH provides better climatic conditions, especially if it is not a good summer. Here are mine in there and tassels are forming.
P1000459 - Copy.jpg

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 13:08 »
I can easily believe that sweetcorn grows and crops well in a GH - if I had a bigger greenhouse I'd try it too, although it would have to be something like Swift rather than Incredible unless it was a HUGE GH!  :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 11:08 »
I like my greenhouse space for the more tender stuff. I've even relegated the chillies outdoors these days  :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 12:45 »
Another thing why I now prefer growing it in there is that I live on such a windy site that I've had the thought that a lot of the pollen gets blown away before it dopes its job. Apart from the warmer temps in there, by tapping the tassels to release the pollen, I have had 100% pollinated cobs in contrast to outside (though that does depend if I get any strong winds during pollination time).

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 40 queries.