coop advice please

• 16 Replies

Debsie

• Experienced Member
Re: coop advice please
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 16:27 »
when I went to have a look today he mentioned weld mesh but what he showed me did look more like chicken wire as in it was hexaganel but he assured me it was the correct stuff. It would stand at about 6ft (1.8) high however I still think I would be more comfortable with a weld mesh roof as apposed to the net,  back to Forsham I think to consider their quicksafe enclosure, this chicken keeping is a bit of a minefield but I do want to get it right

threeranger

Re: coop advice please
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 23:23 »
Hi Debsie,

Is your budget around £500 (one of your posts mentions this figure) ? Also is this the first time you have had chickens ?

We had our first chickens in a wooden coop for about a year, and although in terms of looks it blends in nicely with the garden, it's downside is the cleaning out, especially when the weather is colder and wetter - giving it a good wash and letting it dry out is not so easy. It was not an import nor one of the better wooden ones, just from a local chap. It's condition has suffered a little, even in just one year.

As a result we have now got an eglu, mostly because it will be quicker and easier to clean out and hopefully free of mites too, what it lacks in traditional looks it should make up for in practicality and longevity. If you can spend around £500 then don't necessarily count them out....

It will depend how much time you have to regularly clean and maintain a wooden one versus the efficiency of cleaning an eglu for busy folk !

There are plenty of Eglu fans around, and equally plenty of wooden coop fans. Each have their own positives and negatives - just need to work out what's most important to you. If you do go wooden then go for a good one as recommended by some of the replies so far.

Any chance of a pic of where you are hoping to locate them, will you be moving them regularly or staying where they land ?

Hope that helps !
 :)

xx
Advice about new coop please

Started by dizzylizzie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 17:19
by dizzylizzie
xx
New Coop Advice Please...

Started by PackFlock on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 18:32
by kegs
xx
Insulating the coop advice

Started by evie2 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 20, 2010, 20:09
by evie2
xx
Opinions/advice on new coop, please

Started by Chickenstreet on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post November 18, 2007, 19:54
by Chickenstreet

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 28 queries.