apple cider vinegar

• 8 Replies

cejx

• Experienced Member
apple cider vinegar
« on: October 14, 2011, 15:28 »
How much should be added - say per litre?  The bluebelle's moult is in full swing, and aside from the garden, house, cats everything being covered in a layer of grey feathers, all advice points to ACV - but not how much to use.
**ginger•henna•margo•matilda•hattie••5 ex-bats & betty the rescued bluebelle**

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: apple cider vinegar
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 15:32 »
20 ml per litre of water and make sure its the cloudy horsey type ACV not a refined product.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Budboy

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 23:32 »
Being a newbie Bantam keeper, could someone let me know why you should give apple cider vinegar.  My 3 Bantams are approx. 18 weeks old and feathers everywhere over the past couple of days so presuming they are moulting.

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 00:49 »
I didn't realise avc was a moulting supplement. I put it in their pellet stew to aid digestion and therefore general health. Maybe that's why I've had only partial moults for 4 years running!!!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 01:03 »
I'm also not aware of ACV helping with the moult.  It does apparently help lower the pH in the digestive system so can be helpful in two ways:
1) to help cut through phlegm and allow nutrients and medications to be absorbed better and
2) to reduce the effects of over-supplementation of calcium in young pullets (e.g. accidentally feeding layer's pellets to young birds)

I'm not aware of it causing any harm, and I use it as a general supplement as viettaclark does, more for my own amusement than with any specific goal.

My 80-year-old mother takes it every day and swears it helps with her arthritis.  She has recently taken up Zumba so if your chickens start mambo-ing around the garden this may be the cause.

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 01:21 »
Hi Lindeggs!
I've got arthritis in my knees. How much avc does your mum take? I have heard of the pH thing before but I don't take anything except krill oil.
Oil and vinegar! Just add garlic (good for immune system) and chillies (circulation) for a tasty dressing!!!
A swig a day!!!!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 01:37 »
 :)

Mum takes 2 tablepoons in a glass of water.  She tries to take it twice a day but she is usually so busy in the evenings that she forgets, but she does take it every morning before breakfast. 

She was just telling me yesterday that she finds the taste rather too sharp, so recently she has started putting it in a blender with some fresh apple, and drinking it as a kind of shake.  She finds it more palatable that way.

Mum's arthritis is also in her knee.  With all her bowls, ballroom dancing and now Zumba she found it was cramping her style.  ::)

I occasionally take ACV for no particular reason.  I used to take it daily but began to be concerned about my tooth enamel  ??? so now I just take a swig when I'm serving it up to the chickens.  :D

viettaclark

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 18:03 »
I may as well give it a go then! Thanks....

Budboy

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 20:22 »
Well, seeing as my three youngs girls are jumping aroung the garden as it is, I think I will give it a go for 'medicinal purposes'.  Good luck with the Zumba !!!

question
Cider vinegar Vs Apple cider vineger?

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 18:44
by Goldfinger
xx
Apple Cider Vinegar

Started by Tazzy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 12:02
by Tazzy
xx
apple cider vinegar

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 22, 2011, 11:13
by Aidy
xx
Apple Cider Vinegar

Started by cluckingnuts on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 11:19
by cluckingnuts

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 38 queries.