Some reassurance please?

• 3 Replies

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
Some reassurance please?
« on: June 05, 2010, 23:31 »
Gladys was looking ill this evening. She had been fine all morning, laid as usual, eating and drinking as normal and keen to get her mid afternoon treat of corn. But this evening she was standing in the corner of the run looking really sorry for herself. I was mowing the lawns and faffing about until 8pm and she must have been like that for a good two hours. If I went up to talk to her she looked interested but, I can't explain it, she just wasn't 'right' or scrating about like the others, she just sat there. I had basically decided to post on here tomorrow if she wasn't acting normally tomorrow morning.

Anyway, about an hour ago I went to close the pop hole and in the run, not even the nest box, were two soft eggs. One was obviously just a yolk covered in membrane and the other was an entire egg!  :ohmy: :unsure: I am presuming this was the problem with her - obviously I can't be 100% it was her who laid either of them...but too much of a coincidence, I think.

She has been laying the longest out of the three hens, since May 14th and apart from one weird egg with a tiny hole in it, she has been laying normally. Is this a sign there is something wrong with her? Or is she still just getting into the hang of laying? They have a tub with grit and oyster shell in it and they get greens everyday.

I don't want to panic just yet, but a friend is looking after them from Thursday night until Saturday morning and I don't want my friend to have the worry of a sick hen or to be worried she could be sick while I am away.

TeaPots

Re: Some reassurance please?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 23:43 »
laying softies certainly does take it out of them, but once laid, they are usually lively again. It could also be that she was too hot. Keep a close eye on her, just in case there has been any leakage of egg into her abdomen, which is often fatal.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 00:05 »
im going through this with one of my girlies, it has really taken it out of her in terms of laying, she passed two softies and didnt lay for 9 days, this morning though when hubby went to let them out there was a small egg in the coop which im hoping is hers,    it definately does take it out of them but be thankful she has managed to pass them, better out than in springs to mind.   Make sure there is lots of oyster shell/grit for them and keep an eye on her, im sure now that she has passed them she will be back to normal.    nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 08:52 »
Thank you both! She is back to normal this morning, thank goodness, but I will be keeping a close eye on her. Don't usually check the nest box til about 10.30am, but I'm pretty sure she will be having a rest after that last night. Poor thing.

xx
Reassurance and advice please!

Started by flangey on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 19, 2009, 10:14
by kimT
xx
Reassurance Needed!!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 17:58
by Foxy
xx
Electric fencing - first shocks for my chickens. Reassurance needed!

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 22, 2015, 17:45
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 38 queries.