Reassurance and advice please!

• 5 Replies

flangey

Reassurance and advice please!
« on: October 18, 2009, 14:18 »
Hello, I'm probably being over paranoid, (OH says I'm fretting too much) but I added three chucks to my flock last Saturday, 2 were birthday presents, couldn't resist the third! There was the usual squabbling with the others to start with, nothing too horrible, none of them got on the perch for the first couple of nights, but followed 'Vember's' advice on here and kept popping them on and they've now got the hang of that. But two of the three seem very withdrawn and depressed. I've seen them eating and drinking and wondering around the garden but most of the time they both sit in a corner hunched up and asleep. I picked up  one of them yesterday for a cuddle and her feathers underneath are a bit mucky.  Other than that, they both seem in good health.  Is this just them adjusting or should I be worried. I know I've only had the new girls a week, but I don't like seeing them so miserable.  They're about 19 weeks old. Any advice/reassurance would be welcome?

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
Re: Reassurance and advice please!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 15:05 »
Hi,
When you picked them up did they feel light?
If not I wouldn't worry too much as some of my youngsters are look a bit sorry for themselves sometimes.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

flangey

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 16:49 »
hello, no not really, my little bluebell did a bit but she is quite tiny compared to the others, she could be a bit younger I suppose.  I know I'm worrying for nothing, just after I posted I looked out the window and they were all running round trying to get a dead mouse off one of the others! (yum) then half an hour later, tucked in the corner asleep again! I'll keep a close eye on them both, I might separate them a bit and let them have their own run and food etc, see if that gives them a bit more confidence.  Thanks for the advice though

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 17:40 »
Probably nothing to worry about then, I wouldn't seperate them if I where you as you might have more problems when you try and put  them together again, it is still early days they will grow in confidence.
If you think they are being bullied over food then it might not be a bad idea to put another feeder in for now.
Michelle xx

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 09:44 »
In my humble opinion, new hens should be quarantined to start with, just in case of illness, but too late for that now, of course.
Good luck with your girls.
cathangirl

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 10:14 »
Have they been wormed?

xx
Some reassurance please?

Started by 1st time veg grower on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 08:52
by 1st time veg grower
xx
Reassurance Needed!!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 17:58
by Foxy
xx
Electric fencing - first shocks for my chickens. Reassurance needed!

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 22, 2015, 17:45
by Helenaj
xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 39 queries.