Reassurance Needed!!!

• 9 Replies

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
Reassurance Needed!!!
« on: April 25, 2008, 12:45 »
I have just picked up 5 day old chicks. They are now at home in the brooder under a lamp. When they were all put in they have all stayed in exactly the same position and have flaked out. Is this normal? Could they be sleeping - how long do new born chicks sleep for?

Bit worried that i have killed them already!! :roll:
If you do things well, do them better. Be daring, be first, be different, be just.

Bodger

Reassurance Needed!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 12:49 »
Your chicks will be responding to the heat.

If they all bunch up in one mass under the lamp, then they are not warm enough. If they all scatter to the far reaches of the container away from the lamp then they are too hot.
Ideally they should wander around their enclosure willy nilly which means that you have the heat ust right. Try lowering the lamp a little.

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
Reassurance Needed!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 13:03 »
Thanks for that, but they are all seperate in different parts of the brooder flaked out with their eyes closed. They are not trying to get away from heat and they are not bunched up. They are also not making any noise.

:?:

Bodger

Reassurance Needed!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 13:09 »
keep an eye on them in that case, but I'd imagine they are just having a rest rather that there being anything untowards wrong with them. Are they feeding and drinking OK ?

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
Reassurance Needed!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 13:13 »
they havent eaten or drank anything since we got home but that was only an hour or so ago. I have dipped their beaks in the water so they know where it is.

snozzer

• Experienced Member
Reassurance Needed!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 13:38 »
Confirming what Bodger said about the heat.  If they are under a day and from a commercial hatchery then they will be a bit quiet for a few hours, after hatching they tend to sleep a lot and have short intense periods of action, then powernap again.  

As long as they are not being scorched or frozen give them 2-3 hours and they should pick up.
As guilty as a puppy next to a pile of poo

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
Reassurance Needed!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 14:27 »
I would say they are fine - they do look dead when they sleep! I'm always checking ours are breathing when i go in. They are just babies so sleep loads.
I encourage ours to feed and drink by tapping fingernail on the plate with food and on side of drinker - they all come and investigate then once one has the hang of it they will all learn. It is pretty amazing how well they cope with no mommy.

Ruby Red

Reassurance Needed!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 14:36 »
Quote from: "mdueal"
I would say they are fine - they do look dead when they sleep! I'm always checking ours are breathing when i go in. They are just babies so sleep loads.
I encourage ours to feed and drink by tapping fingernail on the plate with food and on side of drinker - they all come and investigate then once one has the hang of it they will all learn. It is pretty amazing how well they cope with no mommy.

That last bit just seems so sad. They will never be able to snuggle under their mums wings :cry:
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

Bodger

Reassurance Needed!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 14:39 »
I tut at all my chicks and chickens to announce the arrival of food. Sad isn't it? But its as close as I can get to mimicking the call a mother hen makes when she's found food for her chicks. :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Foxy

Reassurance Needed!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 17:58 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
I tut at all my chicks and chickens to announce the arrival of food. Sad isn't it? But its as close as I can get to mimicking the call a mother hen makes when she's found food for her chicks. :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Ahhhhh Bodger being a mommy chicken :lol:  :lol:  :lol: be careful Gay Abandon isn't around !!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

xx
Electric fencing - first shocks for my chickens. Reassurance needed!

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 22, 2015, 17:45
by Helenaj
xx
Some reassurance please?

Started by 1st time veg grower on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 08:52
by 1st time veg grower
xx
Reassurance and advice please!

Started by flangey on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 19, 2009, 10:14
by kimT
question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 38 queries.