Are they dead

• 7 Replies

sclarke624

Are they dead
« on: April 30, 2009, 13:29 »
Do you reckon osteopermums(sp) should be showing any sign of live by now.  Had them four years but left them out this winter as I have done other winters.  White ones with blue centre.

Also  Marguerites had them three years.

Also geraniums four years old.

I know about scratching to see if any green but my geraniums have looked half dead before and come to life without any green on the scratch showing.  So just wondering if they should be sprouting green leaves by now.  My babys breath is shooting leaves, that was probably sheltered under the hydranga.
Hate this time of year as always in a quandry wether to buy more plants to fill dead looking ones or wait and see if they pop up, more so as they are in pots, don't want to dig them all out if any chance of life.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Are they dead
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 13:56 »
Don't know about the others but the Osteos will be dead and gone, even the roots had rotted away on mine, and i bought them back from Greece as cuttings so i really :(
Have to try to save some pennies and go to visit friends there just to cadge some more cuttings 8)

sclarke624

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 14:02 »
Yeah gonna be expensive this year.  Wish I hadn't been so lazy now and put them in the wendy house.  Especially the margeurites as got 6 for 50p each at end of season B&Q.  They are from £6 to £8 each form what I have seen now.  Got to look around more though.  The Osteos were really gorgeous an' all and well established.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 17:39 »
Yeah gonna be expensive this year.  Wish I hadn't been so lazy now and put them in the wendy house.  Especially the margeurites as got 6 for 50p each at end of season B&Q.  They are from £6 to £8 each form what I have seen now.  Got to look around more though.  The Osteos were really gorgeous an' all and well established.

Yes, I am afraid I agree, the osteos, will definitely have had.  I left mine in, and they've gone.
Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

wighty

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 20:38 »
According to the Chairperson(man) of the IOW Fuschia Club who is obviously in touch with mainland Chairpeople, most overwintered Geraniums were lost this year, whether left outside or in a greenhouse.  I know I've lost all mine (inside). My Fuschias seem to be sprouting only from the base not on old wood like they've done before.

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 21:57 »
It's all about microclimate -
osteospermum in the garden -dead       
osteospermum in a pot against a south wall - flowering now

Marguerite in a pot in open  - dead
marguerite in a pot sheltered by a phormium - flowering now

Fuchsia m. moliniae against south wall - feared dead this winter but now just coming into flower

And all these in North Yorkshire

Actually it's about time also - I remember a eucalyptus tree presumed dead after a severe winter around 1980, I didn't get round to cutting it down til about June then found small shoots emerging at ground level
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

sclarke624

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 01:37 »
Hmmmm! doesn't sound good.

topgardener

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 20:06 »
Osteospurmums are one of the easiest plants to propagate, i always take cuttings when the flowers are coming to an end. Just snap of the shoots and trim them to a leaf joint then put them in a glasss of water. once they have made roots pot them up and keep them till spring.
They wont readily go through the winter
I will warn you the cutting smell really bad
Hope this helps
tony
bigtone

clip
Dead Space

Started by Lardman on General Gardening

17 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 13:55
by Mrs Bee
xx
Dead-Heading.

Started by robbodaveuk on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 11:08
by Stripey_cat
clip
Dead Camellia

Started by chrisnchris on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 17:48
by Yorkie
xx
Dead daphnea

Started by sion01 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post January 07, 2012, 15:32
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 39 queries.