Feathers

• 2 Replies

brrian

Feathers
« on: June 14, 2011, 20:43 »
Hello again my chicks are approx 14 weeks old I have noticed quite a few feathers
In the coop and run some are down like but some are fully grown.Is this normal
They seem to get on ok but  worried they are fighting during the day thanks in anticipation

daisy1990

Re: Feathers
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 10:05 »
Hi My hens are between a few months and two years of age and we always have a few feathers in the coop.  they will lose some when dust bathing or grooming themselves, some hens (especially those that are bored or stressed will feather pluck and bald patches can be evident) if this is the case give them things to do to stop boredom especially if the dont free range  Check that the hens dont have mite or lice as this can cause them to pull out their feathers.  If you think the feathers are as a result of hen pecking (ie the hens trying to sort out the pecking order) you will see them exhibiting this behaviour when you are with them

Good Luck!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Feathers
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 12:50 »
We seem to get 3 partial moults from our chicks up until they are point of lay.  The first one when their down disappears and they get their first little feathers, the 2nd one at about 7-10 weeks old, mainly tail feathers, and then the 3rd just before they reach point of lay.

xx
re... feathers everywhere

Started by gailtearle on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 13, 2011, 17:35
by New shoot
xx
Feathers

Started by Chippet on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 08, 2012, 20:52
by Chippet
xx
all about feathers

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 21:06
by karlooben
xx
Feathers

Started by crazy coop on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 18:49
by crazy coop

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 28 queries.