starting out...

• 6 Replies

steve chip

starting out...
« on: January 21, 2011, 23:14 »
im thinking of getting a plot down my local allotment and was wondering what are the best things to do when starting out on a new plot? e.g, will i have to mulch or put manure down before sowing or can i just start straight away? thanks for any help it will be needed and appreciated as i am young and clueless :wacko:

cjskts

Re: starting out...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 23:59 »
You need to get your name down for an allotment first. Depends where your from though. We dont have any waiting lists here at the moment, but i know some areas have huge (years!) waiting lists.

On our first season (just starting our 2nd) i didnt worry about manure etc. The land hadn't been worked for years. We got it in March 2010 and wanted to grow straight away. We grew potatoes, onions, carrots, parsnips, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels, leeks, French beans, swede, turnip and salad leaves all without any manure. We have manured now though ready for this season. We used some fertilizer though, as directed.

But you really need to get a plot first. then you can get your manure now ready to rot down for using at the end of the season (unless you can get some that is already rotted down, but be careful, the ammonia in the horses wee will kill your plants.)

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 06:02 »
definitely put your name down first - you can always decline an offer if you change your mind.

Plots are rarely ready to plant out immediately - previous tenants give up their plot for a multitude of reasons, usually because they are unable to cope, so expect to spend some time clearing it of rubbish and to do some serious digging to break up the soil and remove weeds.  Depending on when you get it and how soon you want to start growing stuff may determine how you go about it - out of season and you'll have time to do most of the plot, in season and it might be a case of clearing a bed at a time.  The latter happened to me - I sowed plants at home and when ready to plant out, would clear a bed, dig a hole and popped compost and some fertilizer in before back filling.  It wasn't until the following year I was able to start thinking properly about how to go about it and by then I'd had a year's experience to give me a better idea of what to do  ;)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 09:12 »
The main website has lots of useful pages on growing stuff.

Of particular relevance to your questions are the ones on clearing a plot and planning.

But yes, get your name down asap.  The list I manage is 3 years long!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

steve chip

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 12:10 »
thanks for all the advice  :)

jon whitehouse

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 18:02 »
IMHO i would recommend is dig, dig and more digging. ;)

Theis helps to free the beds of weeds and this time of year brings unwanted creatures to the surface that the birds love.

Once your new plot is dug over or as you go along each bed i would add some manure or compost etc to help the soil out.

Another thing i liked to do when i had my new allotment was draw a plan of the site and sketch in the beds and write in what im going to plant where i found this just helps you to have a goal and something to aim for plus it helps you to remember whats planted where  :D

Christine

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 15:43 »
Get yourself a couple of good books to read. Most people here swear by the ones by John Harrison who runs the forum.

I only keep the Dr Hessayon books on the shelf as a reference - no make that a referee in family disagreements (sorry folks but was trained by two generations of gardeners). Erm we use them down the gardeners association shed too.

But anyway - take your pick from the ones on Amazon or have a look round your local library. Knowledge is a useful tool when starting out.

xx
Starting Out

Started by rsdavis on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 11, 2014, 15:04
by Snoop
xx
Just starting out

Started by dazza on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 05, 2008, 13:02
by dazza
xx
Just starting out.

Started by bigginge on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 20:56
by Jay Dubya
xx
Starting Out-Help!

Started by Mand312 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 14:47
by GYO Girl

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 38 queries.