Best material to cover resting beds

• 5 Replies

ptarmigan

Best material to cover resting beds
« on: June 26, 2019, 08:13 »
I’ve tried cardboard and it just rotted away and flew across the allotment. Weed suppressant breaks down.  Carpet is a no...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Best material to cover resting beds
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 09:23 »
Two options, depending on what you prefer. The soil here is heavy clay, albeit improved now with years or organic matter but still clay
1. Thick black plastic. I use this as it stops the beds getting waterlogged in Winter, stops nutrients from leaching, prevents anything that germinates from growing past seedling stage and lasts for years. I have some pieces 9 years old. It does not prevent air from getting to the soil (as some folk have told me it will) and in the Spring the round is good to go. Worms are happy in the sheltered ground too.

2. Heavy weight landscape fabric. More expensive, frays along cut edges unless you heat seal it and is porous, so if you have very dry soil this could be for you, or if it is a long term coverage this is better. I used it to cover the ground where the second polytunnel was going and it was down for 18m... excellent when ti was rolled back as there was perfect bare soil. My plot neighbour covered a section of her plot for a year and the only plant visible were some yellowing looking strands of bindweed.
This an be planted through too, of course, if you cut holes in it

Both need to be fully light proof, and both need to be properly weighted down (I use buckets of stones and planks of wood) so they don't blow away

Hope that helps
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 09:33 »
Some of my weed control fabric is 8 years old, although I have sometimes had to heat-seal the cut edges to stop them fraying. I agree the cheap bonded stuff (it looks like black fleece) is next to useless.
I buy 100g Yuzet woven weed control fabric, with green planting guidelines woven through it. I buy it from ebay with the pegs to fix it down really well

Plot94

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 12:51 »
Depending on how long the bed is going to be covered I am a big fan of grass clippings. Generally I do this later in the year and find it acts as a good weed suppressant as well as a soil conditioner, there are always loads more worms in the soil covered this way and it is far easier to dig. I usually put on a 5-6 inch deep layer and leave over winter. This time of year I think i would tend more toward fast growing green manures.   

ptarmigan

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 11:21 »
Thank you. 

I think I was using too cheap weed supressant.  I have used green manure in the past as I like to see the soil being used and I might do that to a couple of beds this year. 

But I really need to put 2 or 3 away for the winter entirely to try and cut down the work next year.   I find loads of manure/grass clippings does work but still creates a bit more work than I need on top of everything else!

Hobovore

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 22:17 »
I use cardboard, weighted down with bits of old wood, once it has been wet for a while it tends to 'stick' of it's own accord.

I also use green manures.  But I do so sparingly, I have a tight budget and even a pack of seeds has to be carefully thought about.

xx
Compost/Material for Raised Beds

Started by Glosterboy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 13, 2009, 22:53
by mumofstig
xx
Cover vacant beds?

Started by tallgingerbloke on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 16, 2010, 19:44
by Christine
xx
Do I need to cover empty raised beds

Started by jmc1949 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 26, 2011, 11:15
by jmc1949
xx
Compost material

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 18:56
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 45 queries.