Limping lady!

• 9 Replies

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
Limping lady!
« on: June 18, 2016, 11:07 »
I let my ladies out this morning and my light sussex was limping on and dragging her right leg, I picked her up ad she had a piece of bark chipping in a flap of skin on her foot, thinking that was the problem me and the wife took it out of her foot. Then we put her back in the run with the others and she is still limping on and dragging her foot. She is eating and drinking fine and she seems to still be the "top dog". Does anyone know what could be the problem please.

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
Limping lady!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 19:23 »
My hen is still limping although on having another look at her it seems like she has lost all feeling in the right foot and all the way up to her thigh area she is still eating and drinking and I have now moved her inside away from the others im not sure as to what it is causing it so can anyone please help me please.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 07:50 by New shoot »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Limping lady!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 07:56 »
I've merged your 2 posts together Sussexchook.

As to what is going on with your hen, it sounds like she has had a stroke or suffered some sort of nerve damage.  It may be worth a vet visit, but I'm not sure if they could do anything for her. 

You have got her comfortable and she is eating and drinking, so I would give her a few days to see how she goes.  If she doesn't improve, you will have to think about culling her, as dragging a leg like that will cause damage  :(

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 09:10 »
Thanks for your reply. She is still with us this morning and doesn't look to be in any discomfort so I will keep her inside so I can keep an eye on her

helencrawford

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 14:06 »
I let my ladies out this morning and my light sussex was limping on and dragging her right leg, I picked her up ad she had a piece of bark chipping in a flap of skin on her foot, thinking that was the problem me and the wife took it out of her foot. Then we put her back in the run with the others and she is still limping on and dragging her foot. She is eating and drinking fine and she seems to still be the "top dog". Does anyone know what could be the problem please.

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 18:09 »
Bark chipping is not advised for runs. On breaking down likely to contain aspergillosis (sp?) very bad for chooks  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 18:35 »
I've used natural bark chipping for 5 years in the run and I've never had any problems, what alternatives are there to using bark?

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 09:43 »
Sad news! Last night we decided it would be for the best after 4 days of hoping she would get better to have her put to sleep at our local PDSA. She didn't look very good yesterday she was red from sitting in her own mess because she couldn't stand up and she started breathing funny so we just thought it was for the best.

R.I.P GERALDENE.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 11:13 »
I think you did the right thing.  You gave her a chance, but obviously there was more going on.  Very sad, but the kindest route for her  :(

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 17:28 »
I've used natural bark chipping for 5 years in the run and I've never had any problems, what alternatives are there to using bark?

Chipped wood is fine just not bark.

xx
Limping

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 10:15
by chickenlicken
xx
limping hen

Started by mias chooks on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 15:30
by Aunt Sally
xx
Limping hen

Started by Sylvester on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 23:34
by Sylvester
xx
Limping Hen

Started by stujem on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 08:31
by joyfull

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 37 queries.