Incubators and chick rearing

• 108 Replies

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
Re: Incubators and chick rearing
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2010, 17:51 »
I hatched late last year and really wished that I hadn't. They had to stay on heat for a long time and it was a real pain as to when to put them out. I have however just sat some eggs under a broody silkie which should be a lot easier as she will keep them warm, also have a new garage!
Artificially incubated I really wouldn't bother now.

Steve

kegs

Humidity Levels
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2011, 18:43 »
I'm running a Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Incubator in preparation for incubating eggs.  The temperature is reading 37.5 but although I've filled one of the chanels with water and opened the ventilation hole half way as advised in the instruction booklet the humidity on the hygrometer is reading at 35%RH.  How important is the humidity at this stage?  Any advice appreciated?

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: Humidity Levels
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2011, 19:33 »
It wants to be at least 45%  ;)

Helenaj

« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2011, 08:42 »
Kegs - drop an email to Brinsea - I've found them really helpful in the past and if you use the UK site, they get back to you within a couple of hours. They should be able to tell you exactly how far to open the vent - the instruction booklet with mine leaves a lot to be desired.

kegs

« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2011, 11:48 »
Kegs - drop an email to Brinsea - I've found them really helpful in the past and if you use the UK site, they get back to you within a couple of hours. They should be able to tell you exactly how far to open the vent - the instruction booklet with mine leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks Helena.  I'll get on to them now.  I didn't go to bed till 1 trying to figure out how to adjust it (and checked it again at 5am  :wacko:).  Even with the vent closed it wouldn't go up further than 35%.  I finally got it to go up to 50% this morning by adding hot water but it's crept back down to 35% again now.

I know what you mean about the instruction booklet and the online download version is the same. :tongue2:

Thanks again
Kerry

Helenaj

« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2011, 12:16 »
Kegs, would you be prepared to post the advice they give you on here? I'd be interested in what they have to say.

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2011, 12:28 »
I had the same one and to be honest i did not worry about humity untill day 18 did not fuf about witht the water tray as you want your eggs to lose moisture for the first 5 days but on day 18  stop the craddle fill the water tray add a sponge it will sit around 55% to 60% and that is fine for most eggs and my hatch rate is 90% not do to with the incy but with the eggs themself as in duds or dead early on.

it's called dry incubation. works well with thick shell eggs such as Burford Brown

“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2011, 12:30 »
can I just say well done on trying it out brfore you get the eggs, so many don't  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

kegs

« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2011, 12:45 »
can I just say well done on trying it out brfore you get the eggs, so many don't  :(

I had to sit on my hands and stop looking at the egg boxes  - I'm sure they kept calling out to me to put them in the warm !!!  Almost as tempting as chocolate !!  ::)

kegs

« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2011, 12:59 »
Kegs, would you be prepared to post the advice they give you on here? I'd be interested in what they have to say.

I don't mind doing that - but could a Mod. advise me on whether there are any rules I should follow if I post their advice?

joyfull

« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2011, 13:02 »
no problem so long as any advice given is credited to them  :)

kegs

« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2011, 13:11 »
This is Brinsea's reply to my query:

"Good afternoon Kerry

Further to your enquiry regarding the humidity in your Octagon 20 Eco first of all how are you measuring the humidity levels in the incubator?
How much water do you have in the base, do you have just one trough filled or both? What are the ambient conditions in the room where the incubator is situated?
If you could let me know some of this information we may be able to advise.

Kind regards

Nyree Lancastle
Sales Office Administrator
Brinsea Products Ltd
"

Followed by my reply back to Nyree:

Hello
I'm measuring the humidity with a new humidity meter - item PY71 (second item from the bottom)

http://www.ascott-dairy.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eascott%2ddairy%2eco%2euk%2f&WD=meter%20humidity&PN=Accessories__Thermometers%2ehtml%23aPY71#aPY71

I tested it outside of the incubator with a damp cloth and it is calibrated correctly.

I have put water in just one trough.  The incubator is placed in the sitting room, on a wooden floor and is an ambient temperature (this is one of the cooler rooms in our house as it has 3 outside walls).  I have no heating on but it is sited near a window but no direct sunlight.  The vent at the moment is closed, and the temperature is stable at 37.6

I finally got the humidity to go up to 50% this morning by adding a small amount of hot water but it has crept back down to 35% again now.

Many thanks.

Kerry

That's it so far.  I'll post any further information I receive.

joyfull

« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2011, 13:17 »
they sound really helpful, please keep us posted on their next reply  :)

kegs

« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2011, 15:25 »
Brinsea's prompt updated reply as follows:

"Hi Kerry

It sounds as though you are doing everything right you just probably need to add some water to the second trough (though not fill it) to increase humidity.

You could also try placing some kitchen towel or blotting paper on the base of the incubator with one end in the water trough to absorb the water and increase the surface area available.

I hope this is of help and please let me know how you get on.

Kind regards
Nyree Lancastle
Sales Office Administrator

Brinsea Products Ltd"

I'll let you know if it works !!

kegs

« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2011, 18:31 »
Yippee.

Two squares of kitchen roll folded so that an inch sits in the second trough which was filled with hot water.  The vent is a quarter open and although initially the humidity went up to 70% it stabilised quite quickly at 50% with the temperature at 37.5

Fingers crossed - Day 1 over.

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 36 queries.