What should they cost ?

• 13 Replies

uba

• Experienced Member
What should they cost ?
« on: May 01, 2010, 08:36 »
Hi all, I just want to know roughly what I should be expected to pay for some birds really. Were off to look at some tomorrow, the runs not made up yet so I wont be coming home with some :( but tomorrow I will be inquiring about her prices so any ideas from you lot would be great. Orpington bantams and large are what we are looking at, I have no idea what price she will ask and i suppose it varies around the country but just a rough idea would be fab.

Thanks in advance

Nige
Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do.

lisa80

Re: What should they cost ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 08:46 »
It depends on where you live and how common the breed that you want is .Near me you can get a pol hybred for £12.50 .if its purebreed normally £5 as a day old raising by £1 a week there after so £20 upwards for a pol  :)auctions are different and some breeders charge silly prices but thats what i go by :) :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 08:55 »
POL hybrids from £7.50 through to purebreeds which can cost hundreds depending upon rarity. On average though expect to pay around £25 per bird  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 10:35 »
I would steer clear of the garden centres, they seem to be charging ridiculous prices.

carolbriar

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 17:10 »
I live in Northern Ireland and I paid £15 each from a breeder for pure breeds. Hybrids would be about £8 I think or perhaps a bit more depending if you get them from a market or a breeder.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

uba

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 17:17 »
Nice one folks thanks for that.

Nige

Hawkins

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 17:24 »
a few weeks ago we paid £12 each forPOL  black rocks, bluebelles, speckeldys and a cuckoo maran and today I paid £20 for POl buff orpington.

Just to give you an idea but were just outside cardiff and i think it depends where you are in the country.

Good luck though choosing
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

marianwhittock

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 18:52 »
I paid between 17 and 20 for each of my POL hybrids, each one was different.  could have got them cheaper from a different place but where I got them was very helpful and they birds all looked really healthy and well care for. (near Bristol)

TeaPots

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 19:30 »
POL hybrids £15-£20 depending on breed, Orpies are £30-35 L/f and £20-25 B/F round near us. most pure breeds are £25, and the "specials" of which Orpies appear to be, £30 up.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 21:32 »
There is someone north of Boston charging £4.75 for POL hybrids.  she is the woman I got our first 12 girls from, but how she can make anything on that price I don't know!

Hybrids from a place very near Joyfull are £7 when they get to POL, but that won't be for another 10 weeks!   :D :D, but they only have brown ones at the moment!   :D :D

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 17:21 »
The place I use charg between 8 - £10 at pol . He has a price list ......  Ill try to get a link  :wacko:

http://www.teviotdalefarm.com/index.htm

Alby
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 17:27 by Alby »
wish I was a cat

Goldfinger

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 17:56 »

Alby, have you been to teviot farm before??

I'm asking 'cos i'm hoping to get a few chooks for our back garden one day soon.

My BH and me would like to go, so we could get an idea on 'what' (preferably bantam size) we could get before commiting ourselves to the 'chook ownership club'  :D

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 23:34 »
It all depends on quality  and quantity. Someone who breeds from really high quality stock, a  small batch at a time would need to charge more than a commercial breeder who can hatch off 80 or even several hundred chicks at a time.

Are they reared in someones spare-room? getting attention and handled daily, or are they in a big shed/barn with hundreds of other chicks, sharing one or more heat lamps? It has got to be  more cost effective to rear in greater quantities. It depends what you are looking for I guess.
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

birds in a basket

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 12:50 »
I paid £15 each for my girls, 2 cou cou marans, 1 columbian blacktail and 1 bovans nera (nr Exeter) from a breeder  :) :)
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

xx
Cost of POL pure breed

Started by Nicki85 on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 08:22
by viettaclark
xx
Cost of keeping chickens.

Started by Plottered on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2011, 08:55
by Skywise

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 41 queries.