Hmmmm...custard

• 13 Replies

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
Hmmmm...custard
« on: May 25, 2012, 18:45 »
Was making the usual vat of custard for the family with custard powder, sugar & milk when I read the ingredients of said custard powder: cornflour, colour & flavouring.

Does anyone have any idea how to make custard using cornflour & adding one's own colour & flavour?  and would it work out cheaper?

And/or, as I seem to have loads of eggs, is there a cheap & cheerful milk/eggs/sugar recipe that tastes acceptable but doesn't require the cream & so on that is apparently essential to recipes such as Delia's?
ManicMum

hamstergbert

Re: Hmmmm...custard
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 20:13 »
HGB recipe.

3 tablespoons cornflour in a big jug.  Get 500ml milk and use a tablespoonful in with the cornflour to mix to a paste.  When well mixed add another tablespoonful and mix smooth, same with 3rd and 4th tablsepoonfulls.  Beat 1 large egg (free range or home hennery or it will not work, probably) and add to the mix.  Beat well until smoothly combined.  Whisk in 1 teaspoonful of vanilla essence/extract (NOT flavouring) and sugar to taste, typically 2-3 tablespoons caster or golden caster.  Teaspoon max of yellow colouring if you really must.  Finally whisk in the rest of the milk.  Into a pan and bring up to the boil, immediately dropping ot a very low rolling simmer for about a minute – best to go by how it thickens.

That is what we have used (mostly without colouring)– you may wish to adjust the cornflour to get the thickness your lot prefer.   Some people add a second egg, up to you.  It is also brilliant with a tablespoonful of Calvados stirred in just before pouring over apple crumble.

Not particularly cheaper than the Birds stuff etc I suspect, depending on where your eggs are from....  But very nice indeed.  If feeling flash, make it 400 ml milk and 100 ml single cream.   If going over almondy bakewell based duffs, interesting with a tablespoonful of dessicated coconut whisked in before adding the rest of the milk.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 20:15 »
Try this:
Vanilla sauce
1/2 oz) cornstarch/cornflour
1/2 pint cold milk
A few drops of vanilla extract
sugar to taste.

- Put the cornstarch into a heat-proof basin.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of the cold milk.
- Blend the cornstarch into the milk using a wooden spoon.
- Make sure the mixture is smooth.
- Heat the remaining milk in a saucepan and bring it to the boil.
- Pour the hot milk gradually over the cornstarch mixture, stirring all the time.
- Put the mixture into a clean pan and put onto the heat.
- Bring it to the boil whilst stirring constantly.
- Boil gently, still stirring, for about 3 minutes.

I think Creme Anglaise fits your bill, for an egg based custard  ;)
http://www.pinchofcinnamon.com/2011/03/perfect-vanilla-sauce.html

Neither of these will be yellow like Birds though  ::)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 20:22 »
Mmmmmm, Creme Anglaise.  I like a thick custard and add cornflour to this as it thickens and stabilises the sauce.
Cheese makes everything better.

chrissie B

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 20:43 »
i dont think the birds custard is as nice as it was once was , nigella lawson has a cake recipe which has custard powder in the cake and the icing .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 20:48 »
Mmmmmm, Creme Anglaise.  I like a thick custard and add cornflour to this as it thickens and stabilises the sauce.

Seconded. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 20:50 »
Thirded!  :tongue2:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Chrysalis

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 22:35 »
I seem to remember that custard powder was made on the Victorian Pharmacy prog. using cornflour and turmeric for colouring....  might be worth trolling through the watch again things or seeing if it's on cable/sky...

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 22:42 »
If it needs to be lurid yellow a few drops of food colouring would work.  My Dr Oetker colouring says it's suitable for vegetarians.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 23:39 »
I seem to remember that custard powder was made on the Victorian Pharmacy prog. using cornflour and turmeric for colouring....  might be worth trolling through the watch again things or seeing if it's on cable/sky...

I think it was invented by someone who had a son who was allergic to eggs if my memory serves me correct.

Not that it does serve me correct that often :ohmy:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 10:30 »
I think it was invented by someone who had a son who was allergic to eggs if my memory serves me correct.

Not that it does serve me correct that often :ohmy:
Close, but no cigar, it was his wife that was allergic.  Ah, memories of school custard, hot with banana one day and cold the next day needing to be cut with a chain saw. :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 11:05 »
we had ours t'other way around - hot on a pud and then the leftovers poured over bananas to set for the next day  :dry:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 11:37 »
we had ours t'other way around - hot on a pud and then the leftovers poured over bananas to set for the next day  :dry:
Oh dear, the years are taking their toll, that is how ours were too. :blush:  Well it was nearly 50 years ago. :lol:

chrissie B

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 21:04 »
i love to have cold custard with a dollop of cold stewed apple i it straight from the fridge yum .
i saw the victorian program vert interesting did you see the bit on jelly .
chrissie b

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 39 queries.