Damson jam disaster - help?

• 8 Replies

Happy-Hound

Damson jam disaster - help?
« on: August 17, 2011, 08:25 »
Hi all, I had my first ever go at making jam yesterday and it was a bit of a disaster.  I tried Damson Jam which from what I had read should have been easy!  I think I used the wrong kind of sugar because what I usually have is light sugar.  It wouldn't set and although I was boiling it as the recipe said it burned on the bottom of the pan.  I have also since read the recipe that's on this website and think I may have had too much water although I was following a recipe.  Anyone got any views and also does anyone know how to get a thick layer of burnt jam off the bottom of my pan?  Also anyone have a view as to whether it's worth stoning the damsons first?  Many thanks, Wendy.

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
Re: Damson jam disaster - help?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:43 »
I make Damson jam all the time however never with 'Light' sugar so i wonder if something there sent it awry. I usually just guestimate my amounts but i use, roughly, 1.5kg damsons to 3/4 to 1 pint water and a kilo of bog standard, white granulated sugar. That's complete guesswork but it always sets. As for stoning damsons first, well you could, but you're better off scooping them out as the fruit is stewing. Laborious but less so than stoning them first! and anyway, whoever said homemade was easy, it ain't but it's worth the extra effort!! Give the pan a day or so in cold soapy washing up water and a brillo will sort it..... BTW, it usually requires around 8/10 minutes on a rolling boil to set just fine. HTH!!!

Happy-Hound

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 08:46 »
Thanks, I will give it another go tomorrow, plenty of fruit still hanging around!  That's assuming I can get the tar off the pan!

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 08:47 »
Try some sand on the burnt areas & rub with a brillo pad or soak in washing powder overnight.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:35 »
stay with the pan while it's boiling and give it the occasional stir  :)

Good luck with the next lot :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 10:52 »

Sorry to be another bit of grit in your life's vaseline but.    I never have trouble with damson jam ( I prefer to make jelly) setting.   You could invest in a jam themometer, that might help.   

If you do decide to make jelly (straining the gloop through a jelly bag getting rid of skins & stones) don't squeeze the jelly though the bag as your jelly will be cloudy.     Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

hamstergbert

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 11:15 »
We always stone the fruit first - and our favourite stone type fruit is small cherry  plums so it takes a lot of them!  (The memsahib and I do find it strangely relaxing though to sit in the garden together working our way through bucketfuls and quietly chatting about everything and nothing).

I only put enough water in the pan to just cover the fruit (usually boosted with an apple or three to add pectin and improve the set) and often a stick or two of green late season rhubarb too.  I always strain through the jelly bags etc but I do also gently squeeze when making enyhting other than pure crabble jilly.

Re the burning on to your pan - do you have a proper old fashioned jam pan?  I have heard that some of the newer and cheaper ones are a bit thin/light which is always going to increase the chances of jams burning on.   Only other thing I can suggest is to use a jam thermometer and never walk away from the pan while it is boiling - stay there and keep stirring (it also helps the gunge reach higher temperature without boiling over).

Dinna give up - practice may not make perfect but it tends to make consistent success.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Happy-Hound

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 10:32 »
Thanks for th :(e h :(elp. The pan is now clean after boiling 4 times with soda crystals, scrubbing with brillo pads and scraping with the bbq scraper.  I will try again later when I've been out to get some proper sugar and some more soda crystals!

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 13:26 »

Well goodby non-stick coating ! ! ! !   'Been there, done that'    ::) 

Bet my jam pan is older than your jam pan.       Cheers,    Tony.

xx
damson gin

Started by Mega on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 26, 2010, 07:45
by Pip Judgeford
xx
Damson Curd

Started by cricketwidow on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post September 08, 2013, 20:46
by Madame Cholet
xx
Val's damson pickle

Started by imarr17 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 18:40
by imarr17
xx
Damson preserve

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 21:53
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 29 queries.