ok...daft questions coming up....

• 11 Replies

Piccolo

• Experienced Member
ok...daft questions coming up....
« on: July 19, 2010, 17:35 »
I wanted to try some different things on the allotment and two of them were squashes and courgettes.  My courgette is yellow (I thought it was going to be green but hey, no problem :D) and we delayed picking it so its the size of a small marrow.  My questions are: any ideas on how to cook it and do I have to peel it ????  My other question is how to cook our (very handsome :D) squash and what size it needs to get to before we do?
Any advice gratefully received. :D

madcat

Re: ok...daft questions coming up....
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 18:31 »
The courgette - I find the yellow skins more tender than the green, even when they get away from me.... and to the size of a small marrow.  So no, I dont think you will need to peel it - just check when you cut it up, but it should be as soft as a cucumber skin.

I would chop a big one in half lengthwise, scoop out any seeds, maybe put a bit of stuffing in it, perhaps a tomato sauce round it and bake it.  Good with a grill or cold meat.  But you could chop it up into cubes and saute it, or slices and grill it or dip in batter and deep fry ..... there are oodles of recipes for courgettes.  Have a google.  Try some raw too, it is nice in salads. 

Pick the next ones a bit smaller ....  there will be lots more to come now it has got the hang of it.   :D :D

Do you know whether you have a winter or a summer squash?  What variety it is?
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Piccolo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 20:10 »
Thanks for your reply madcat that all sounds lovely :D  I think I might have a go at baking it..what heat setting would you suggest and how long for? (I'm not the most adventurous cook as you can tell... :blush:)  The squash I will check on but at the moment it is round, pumpkin-orange with thin cream coloured striping. :)

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 20:13 »
Squash: You can peel it, chop it (scooping the seeds out) then either boil it and mash it, bake it, put it in soups etc... basically if you can do with a potato you can do it with a squash
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 20:22 »
I've never tried squash chips  :lol:

madcat

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 21:19 »
Thanks for your reply madcat that all sounds lovely :D  I think I might have a go at baking it..what heat setting would you suggest and how long for? (I'm not the most adventurous cook as you can tell... :blush:)  The squash I will check on but at the moment it is round, pumpkin-orange with thin cream coloured striping. :)

180C for about 20 - 30 mins should do it.  check with the point of a knife that it is soft, but don't do it so long it is mush in a jacket - it needs a bit of bite.  

I've never tried squash chips  :lol:
I'm still thinking about squash chips   :unsure:  ....  you could do fritters ...  batter them like a mars bar ...  :D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 21:21 by madcat »

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 21:52 »
Just as a total aside - Nigella has a recipe for Courgette Cake  :blink: in one of her books... I've not tried it yet but I think it might be this weekend's endeavour as I have quite a few courgetts ready now.  I thought it might make a nice change to all the savoury options!
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 22:10 »
There is a recipe for chocolate courgette cake somewhere which is rather good...I'm off to have a look ;)

Here it is http://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/?s=chocolate+courgette+cake

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 03:59 »
A Lebanese friend used to hollow out small courgettes, stuff them with a ground beef mixture then bake the lot in some sort of tomato sauce. They smelled divine but I never had a chance to try any - she'd made these for the kids before we headed off to a wedding.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 17:41 »
There is a recipe for chocolate courgette cake somewhere which is rather good...I'm off to have a look ;)

Here it is http://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/?s=chocolate+courgette+cake

That's very similar to the recipe I use.  My recipe adds choc chips to the top before cooking, and I never bother peeling the courgettes before grating (it gives some interesting extra colour!).

Tastes lovely and if necessary cut it into quarters and freeze.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 19:18 »
I made a courgette & lime cake once, managed to fool the kids into eating it as they thought all the tiny bits of green were limes  :D

Piccolo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 21:06 »
Well....I reckon the first courgette is getting baked...then.....I'll try baking cake (yum! :D) and as for the squash I'm spoilt for choice  :D  Thankyou for all your replies and advice :D

xx
Pickled beetroot - daft questions alert!

Started by Casey76 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2011, 16:47
by mumofstig
xx
This may be a daft question but....

Started by Piccolo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post October 06, 2009, 17:34
by tode
xx
Daft question re beans

Started by Casey76 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post October 18, 2009, 11:21
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Todays daft question

Started by Livinhope on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 15:42
by catllar

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 39 queries.