Horseradish

• 4 Replies

Elcie

Horseradish
« on: September 29, 2009, 21:34 »
Not going to grow it now after Parsnip's photos!  But, I would like to make a couple of Val's recipes using horseradish.  Do they sell this fresh in the supermarkets?  Don't ever recall seeing it.

Also, how likely is it that I will find some if I go for a wander in the woods?  Is it prolific or rare out in the 'real world'?

Thanks

gypsy

Re: Horseradish
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 19:56 »
I dug up some horseradish this morning and grated it ready to use in the recipe for horseradish sauce on this site. Just as I finished grating it I knocked the bowl over and most of it went onto the floor. :mad:  Mmmmmm it smells lovely in our kitchen.  Does anyone know why the recipe says you have to bring the vinegar to the boil and then let it cool. It is a good recipe I did it last year. CC
Catherine

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 12:41 »
I don't have an answer to your question, BUT I grow my horsradish in a big pot and it works a treat.  I had to protect the leaves this year from Cabbage Moths though.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

gypsy

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 14:41 »
Mine is in a bottomless bucket sunk into the ground so it is partially contained, may put it in a proper bucket though after reading what problems other folks have had with it. CC

Elcie

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 21:13 »
It isn't looking good.  Supermarkets round here don't sell it fresh, have tried a couple of the stalls on the local market and they don't sell it fresh either.  Looks like you grow it or you get it in jars.  Trouble is growing it is a trouble!  How big a pot do you reckon you would need to contain it and still get a decent crop?

xx
Horseradish anyone?

Started by The Norfolk Turkey on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 19:28
by Yorkie
question
horseradish

Started by Dirt Diver on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 11:48
by Dirt Diver
xx
Horseradish

Started by Code Numpty on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 12:58
by Code Numpty
question
Horseradish

Started by maxinerscn on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 06, 2011, 17:00
by PeterP

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 35 queries.