Rhubarb

• 11 Replies

niknik

Rhubarb
« on: April 15, 2009, 17:26 »
Can anyone tell me if it is ok to eat rhubarb which has started to flower.  We have just been given some and it has flowers on it.  Is it ok just to cut off the flowers and cook as normal?  Many thanks

HLS

• Experienced Member
Re: Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 17:29 »
Do you mean 'is it OK to eat stalks from a plant that is flowering', or 'is it OK to eat the stalk with the flower on the end'?

I'd say definitely OK for the first one (although you should cut/pull the flower spike off the plant to stop the plant putting too much energy into flowering) but I'm not sure about the second - no rhubarb plant of mine has ever got that far!

wighty

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 19:09 »
My Rhubarb plant sent up three flower stems, which after advice on here I have cut out, they were completely hollow and 'wept' copiously.  The plant is only two years old and now looks very sad but I hope it will recover and 'gird it's loins' now to give me something to eat!

David.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 21:02 »
It seems, at least for me, to be a rather early year for rhubarb flowers, as my earliest plantshave already produced (and had removed) 10 flowers by last week, when I normally the first in May.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 21:43 by David. »

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 12:01 »
Same subject, numpty question, but I will ask anyway. I understand the leaves are poisonous on rhubarb, does this also mean the green end of the stalk is poisonous?

I should have asked yesterday as I threw away the greenish ends of some stalks and ate the rest – first home grown rhubarb crumble, yum!  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 19:00 »
I just tear off the leaf itself and eat the rest (after cooking) - not suffered any ill-effects yet ;)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 19:55 »
I have never heard of anyone dying of rhubarb poisoning. Has anyone else?

Stripey_cat

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 18:51 »
I've heard of animals dying after people fed pets the leaves.  I think most people know not to eat the leaves (and they'd taste very sharp and horrible), so it doesn't arise.

The low-level stress on kidneys etc. from eating large amounts of the stem can be a problem if you already have kidney disease, and that is documented along with sorrel and spinach.

David.

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 21:08 »
I just tear off the leaf itself and eat the rest (after cooking) - not suffered any ill-effects yet ;)

Information in wine making books suggests that the oxalic acid can extend down the stem an inch or two frrom the leaf, which is why, when making rhubarb wine, I leave all the stem up to the leaf in place when sulphiting to cleanse the rhubarb sticks, then cut the ends (that have soaked up sulphite/contain oxalic acid) off, because sulphite in rhubarb wine changes the flavour.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 22:35 »
Didn't know about the top 1-2" David, thanks for that

DeeM

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 13:20 »
Another question: some of my rhubarb sticks have hollow "tubes" running inside them.  Are these sticks OK to eat or will they be stringy?  And what causes this?
And back to gardening - is it OK to put the leaves on the compost heap, or are they too acidic?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 18:34 »
Wouldn't have thought there was a problem with the hollow stems, and yes you can compost the leaves

xx
rhubarb

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 12:55
by chrissie B
xx
Rhubarb, rhubarb

Started by Anton on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

30 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 01:23
by Paul Plots
xx
Rhubarb

Started by ptarmigan on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post April 24, 2015, 07:17
by ptarmigan
xx
Rhubarb

Started by Rhuby on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2007, 23:16
by Beanzie

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 39 queries.