wine making

• 9 Replies

tully

• Experienced Member
wine making
« on: October 22, 2006, 07:00 »
is there any wise old owl out there who can give me the low down
on Wine making...what is best how to and the basics...

I guess I could go on the web but sorting the wheat from the chaff is difficult   i dont know why but I am getting to trust this community

Thanks everyone..

OH and what kit do I need. :?:
YOUR NEVER ALONE WITH A CABBAGE

hayles62

• Experienced Member
wine making
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 08:32 »
I started with some new buckets (poundland) and some cling film to cover and a couple of demijohns and now have 47 demijons and lots of other equipment mostly from http://www.freecycle.org/ and local people who heard I make wine. I have only actualy paid out £10 or so and I've picked all my fruit from the hedge rows. Don't fall into the chemicle way keep it simple just yeast, fruit/veg and sugar or honey maybe some citric acid from Wilkinsons (very cheap, one teaspoon to a gallon). I even got some books from freecycle and you get old books with simple recipes the one new book I brought I haven't used yet. Some recipes below,

http://www.allotment-garden.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=877&highlight=wine

I average 4 lbs of almost any fruit, 3 1/2 lbs of sugar, yeast from wilkinsons tsb, and a tsb of citric acid.
Freeze your fruit for a few days, stick it in the sterilised bucket and pour over a full kettle of boiling water, boil another kettle and pour over the sugar, stire until disolved, add to the must, stir. add enough cold tap water to make up a gallon and your spoon full of citric acid, cover the bucket with cling film so no flies can get in and stir it every day for a week then strain and almost fill your demijon, Put a little must in a plastic jug and heat in the microwave until luke warm and add your yeast to this, stir it for a few mins then stick it in the demijon and top up to 2 inches below the top and stick an airlock on, put it somewhere warmish like near rads or warm kitchen or even airing cubourd. When the bubbles slow down rack it off the sediment then rack it off every couple of weeks until bright and clear. I was given hydrometers and thermometers but haven't used them yet and have great results so far.
I made 20 demijons so far and when I've racked it of it smells beautiful and tastes absolutely lovely already and every one is bright and clear. I will be making another 20 in the next two weeks as I made hay while the sun shon and picked every day while there was fruit to be had for free. Once all my fruit is used I will make vegetable wine.

Be happy and relaxed while you make it, I'm convinced it helps.  :D

muntjac

wine making
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 12:30 »
you can get good fermenting buckets with plastic lids for a couple shillings from chip shops ,the oil comes in them,wash out with fairy liquid . :D
still alive /............

muntjac

wine making
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 12:32 »
oh and the pickled eggs thye sell ,ask for the glass jars .they dump them anyways  :wink:

hayles62

• Experienced Member
wine making
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 14:37 »
I never thought of that and my local chippy is at the end of the road, thank you again Muntjac :D I desperatley need jars to.

muntjac

wine making
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 15:03 »
please refer to my new book

"making no use of useless information "

now available in toilet tissue form  please note if you do buy my book i will donate part of the money to the save my wellies for posterity fund ,

tully

• Experienced Member
you scallys
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 16:33 »
thanks for that I will give it a go, and yes i will be relaxed....I will let you know how I get on.

If you have a wellie problem- do what I do and find an old wino to mug
disinfect before use and if they are too small cut out the toes...and put a plastic bag on yhour foot before use.

on the other hand us lot could have a whip round...and I cant wait for your comments now.

muntjac

wine making
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 18:27 »
cor a whip round im always up for a whipping i lov oops .
this post has been censored

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
wine making
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 12:43 »
Hi from the Celtic Eagle Brewery and Vinyard

I agree with what everyone is saying pick up a couple of cheap preferably free buckets. Car boots and charity shops are a good source of demijohns. Use the local library for books and again charity shops. The allotment and the hedge rows will provide a huge amount of things you can ferment

About now in the hedge rows
Rowan berries
Hawthorn berries
Rosehips

In the garden
Parsnips
Carrots
Potatoes ( can be a bit touchy needs good ferment conditions)
Apples

Try the markets for fruit late on as they are closing sometimes huge discounts ( if they can't sell it,they throw it away)

Only things you need to buy are airlocks and bungs for the demijohns
Yeast always use a general purpose wine yeast it's worth it (morrisons or a home brew shop
Pectolase to remove pectin haze is also essential

There 's a thread on here started by Hayley i think with loads of recipies

Good luck and have fun
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
wine making
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 15:07 »
Quote from Hayles    (and now have 47 demijons )

And are they all full yet Hayles??????  I decided earlier this year that as I don't drink much anymore, 10 were too many, so I threw 7 away!!!  That was before I knew about this place and freecycle!!!

Got a gallon of Ribena on the go at the moment, and must get some more orange juice!!!

xx
'Freezing Red Wine'

Started by Hey Jude on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

19 Replies
Last post May 07, 2011, 15:27
by rubenjohnson
xx
rhubarb wine

Started by Space_Cowby on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2008, 22:54
by GrannieAnnie
xx
wine vinegar

Started by juliec on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 22:18
by mumofstig
xx
rhubarb wine anyone?

Started by jackiestagg on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post April 25, 2007, 21:21
by cozzcov

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 36 queries.