Different looking chicken

• 4 Replies

linzechris

« on: November 14, 2008, 10:20 »
Hi, I have four battery hens which I have had now since the beginning of August. They are all fine but one of them,who is lowest in the pecking order and seems to be on her own all the time is different from the others.
She seems to sit about quite alot although she does roam about a bit but I have never seen her do the scratching the others do. She pecks the ground but never scratches it. She is also a bit smaller with a tiny very pale pink comb. Her feathers are the same colour but she almost looks yellowish around the eyes. :shock:
Of all of the girls she is the most friendly and least nervous of me but she does get pecked by the others quite alot.
Is she ok? Is she normal? Has anyone else got a chicken that looks similar? Just curious.
Thanks. Chris. :)
Christine J Jeavons

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 12:54 »
Someone will be along soon to advise you properly about what could be wrong

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 10:09 »
First thing is what are her poo's like and is she eating/drinking much?

She sounds under the weather and may just need some vitamins to buck her up, Battles poultry drink is always good to have on hand.

linzechris

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 08:52 »
She has always been this way since I got her. She doesn't seem poorly, and her poo's are ok and she eats fine, she does seem to drink more then the others though.
Just a couple of days after I got her she got soaked through in the rain as the others would not let her under the shelter and she had hardly had any feathers at the time and I think she got a chill. She stopped eating then and sat about and stayed in the coop alot, but I brought her out and fed her and she recovered so I know what she's like when she is poorly.
From what I've seen her comb is the size of a much younger hen and I've never seen one so pale, it is a similar colour to my skin whereas the others have very red large combs by comparison.
It does make her more endearing though especially as she's so sweet and trusting of me.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 08:57 »
I think Munty gives dandelion leaves as a pick me up so you could give her a few fresh ones if you can find some in the garden. I found quite a few green fresh shoots yesterday for my girls.  There a quite a few threads in the hen house about picked on hens so I'd advise a read of those. TMG has one on this as she's experienced it with her hen, Lonely.

I know that Babe makes little tee shirts for bald hens but I don't know if they're suitable in wet weather.  There are folks here who will know exactly what to do and they'll be along shortly. Til someone more knowledgeable turns up keep a close eye on her  :D

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Chicken not well

Started by SWhite6124 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 18, 2014, 11:33
by grinling
xx
Chicken poo...

Started by Porffor on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 06, 2008, 05:25
by Kate and her Ducks
angry
help my chicken got bit by a dog

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 21:02
by nicchick

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 38 queries.