Can Buzzards or Kites take fully grown hens????

• 8 Replies

Prod

Can Buzzards or Kites take fully grown hens????
« on: June 04, 2012, 11:05 »
We live up in the Brecon hills, very rural, and have noticed a number of large birds of prey hovering over the valley a mile or two further down from us us which seems to be their territory.  In the last couple of days (and minutes in fact) one  of them has taken to perching on the telegraph pole opposite my field where the girls freerange.   Should I be worried and if so is there anything I can do???  We do also get a lot of wild birds including turtle doves  which now land in the field looking for seed.  cheers

Snoop

Re: Can Buzzards or Kites take fully grown hens????
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 16:14 »
Two of our fairly sizeable cats have suffered buzzard attacks and have scars a couple of years on from being lifted off the ground. Hens would probably be quite easy in comparison. Our cats now take cover when there are big birds overhead and our hens are also alert to these predators.

Do you have anywhere your hens could take cover in the field?

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 16:51 »
Generally both species will take small prey, Kites will take a small rabbit or hare, nestlings and worms and rodents. Similar for buzzards, who will take game birds up to about 500g. Both species eat a lot of carrion.

I suppose a chook would be an easy target, but where you live there is plenty of natural prey, and further west there are feeding stations for kites.

There have been posts about this before though, so if you do a search you might find out more.

Prod

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 17:23 »
Yes they have lots of shelter. There are bushes and hedges plus I have boxed in 2 sides of their coop which is raised. I also leave the shed door open and have built a shelter to the rear of the shed mainly for when it is raining but they used it in the hot weather too. I have a cockerel and he seems to really look out for the girls.  I guesss you just get too protective of them  and close up these birds of prey look fearfully big, although stunning too.  Thanks

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 08:07 »
We have red kite come over and our chooks automatically take cover. It seems to be instinctive as I have never trained them ::)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

jhub

• jane
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 09:34 »
Sassy, the image of you trying to train chickens made me laugh. :lol: :lol: :lol:

helens-hens

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 14:14 »
Quite surprisingly we even have buzzards in the area of Cardiff where I live. The hens are very, very observant, usually spotting potential danger well before I ever could and then going for cover if necessary.

One of my hens makes a quiet growling noise when she spots danger :ohmy:
Helen

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 19:47 »
One of my hens makes a similar low growling sound.  I look up when she does it, and sure as eggs are eggs, the local heron will be flying over.

Snoop

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 14:41 »
Sassy, the image of you trying to train chickens made me laugh. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, and to my own astonishment, I'm pretty sure one of my hens recognises her name. Certainly she comes when I call... Maybe it's just the tone of voice, but she doesn't always come when I call the flock in. If I call her name, it's usually because I have a beetle or locust for her. Being the elderly dame in the coop, she gets special privileges and only her name gets called then.

xx
young cock attacking fully grown hen and losing

Started by nrg19uk on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 07, 2008, 00:53
by nrg19uk
xx
Red Kites - The Bird of Prey Kind

Started by Vickie & Richard on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 21, 2008, 00:27
by nnbreeder
xx
Chicken roof run - Covered fully or mesh?

Started by cudders on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 16:27
by Aunt Sally
xx
Buzzards

Started by ali2 on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 10:05
by ex-cavator

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 39 queries.