poorly hen

• 5 Replies

Bubbles

poorly hen
« on: June 02, 2009, 22:23 »
Hi can anyone suggest what might be wrong with a friend's hen. I havent seen her, but apparently she is withdrawn, has laid several eggs with no shells, has a soiled bottom and a pale comb. Doesnt sound too good does it. The owner only has 4 hens and they live in an eglu. Thanks

Roughlee Handled

Re: poorly hen
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 22:54 »
Yes it sounds like the chuck has a lack of calcium in there diet.  May be possible peritonitis.  If hen is realy down then Vet or..........
How old is chicken?
Breed i.e. ex bat?
How long been withdrawn?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 23:10 »
Pick the hen up, feel around the crop, is it swollen? Solid? Tip her up with her face down does any liquid come up?
If any of the above then it's a sour or impacted crop, if she passes those tests then go down the other end, feel underneath her for any solid lumps, you're looking for a stuck egg, it may not be whole it may have burst on laying and gone bad inside her.

If she has been laying shoft shelled eggs it could very well be egg bound, the egg doesn't come out and kind of "cooks" inside the vent, it will have the consistency of a boiled egg. This rots inside and poisons the hen. If you're feeling brave you can have a feel around the inside of the vent with a finger.

There could also be an underlying problem which is why she started laying soft shelled eggs in the first place, if she is on layers pellets then she should not lay soft shelled eggs. Try all the above, if she recovers then try a little ACV in the water which is said to aid calcium absorbtion.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 08:53 »
Pick the hen up, feel around the crop, is it swollen? Solid? Tip her up with her face down does any liquid come up?

Sorry Hensington but I would not suggest anyone does this.

DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS

There are two easy pointers to sour crop.
1. The crop is still enlarged first thing in the morning.  You must check when they come out of the coop. Normally anything in the crop has been digested overnight so the crop should be empty.

2. The chickens breath smells as if something is dead. NOT NICE BREATH.

........ if she is on layers pellets then she should not lay soft shelled eggs. ........
I have had chicken on layer pellets that have had egg peritonitis, so sorry but this is not true.

If you're feeling brave you can have a feel around the inside of the vent with a finger....
Something else I would not suggest anyone does.  You should be able to feel externally if she is egg bound.

Hensington metions ACV = Apple Cider Vinegar. Not the stuff you purchase from the shops it has to be the unrefined stuff from an animal feed store.

Vember

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 09:11 »
Totally agree with Rough, unless you can be 100% sure she has sour crop do not try and make her sick, it could kill her  :ohmy:

The Hen does sound in a sorry way Bubbles I think if she's no better today your friend should think about taking her to a vets.
If she has passed another soft or no shelled egg, which do make them withdrawn as you describe then they need to make sure she is getting enough calcium. Do the birds have access to oyster shell all the time?

Also the breed of the bird would be helpful an ex batt will need more calcium than other hens :D

Sarah :)

Bubbles

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 11:18 »
Thank you all for the advice. I am no expert but the symptoms did sound like being egg bound. I have a reprint of a Penguin book from the war ('feeding chickens on scraps') which has the same advice for most poultry ailments - DISPATCH!  :( but they are our little darlings these days arent they. I think I will advise taking chook to the vet...

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Poorly Hen

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 14, 2016, 16:10
by New shoot
xx
Very poorly hen

Started by HENrietta on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 16:43
by ANHBUC
xx
Yet another poorly hen

Started by Penny Finn on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 03, 2008, 12:09
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 35 queries.