Getting to grips with greenhouse growing

• 7 Replies

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
« on: February 21, 2008, 18:29 »
Hi all,
I'm on the ponce for advice again :)  I have an unheated greenhouse which I used last yaar with mixed results and I think one of the problems I had was baking everything.

The gh has 2 roof vents - 1 works automatically, and a louvre vent at the end opposite the door.

This year I bought a min/max thermometer and plonked it in the gh  to my surprise, even at this time of the year, any sort of sunshine and the t emp. goes over 30, 35 c . today it was mostly overcast and it still got to 25c
Im sure i read somewhere that temps over 30 c is likely to check the growth of plants, is this right? I tried to keep the temp down last year but I know I didnt always remember to open the vents and doors and prob. had temps well over 30, probably like 40

i had sweet peppers that grew, but not many fruit per plant, only 3, 4 max. aubergines that started purple but grew really really slowly and went pale colour, quiet hard and smallish despite plenty of water  // feed. some tomatoes in the soil went well, small plum shape yellow ones did well but some st pierre cordon type were stunted in height but bore some fruit.
Chilli peppers seemed to grow ok though, loads of them!

any tips or advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers,

Wayne.

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 21:01 »
Hi Kentishlad,
You are right, even on a dull day at this time of year the sun’s rays can make greenhouse temperatures soar. About the end of April I will paint the outside of my greenhouse with a product called coolglass. This is on sale at most garden centres.
You can also fix netting on the sunny side and roof of your greenhouse to filter the sun’s rays. This works best if you can secure it on the outside rather than inside, as once the sun has gone through the glass the damage is done.
Hope this helps,
Brian
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

gobs

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 22:18 »
Also keep water trays and water the base, humidity helps plants to cope, also it cools a bit.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

noshed

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 23:17 »
I ended up taking everything out of mine last summer. I couldn't get up the plot often enough to water/keep it cool.
It's more useful to me now really.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 04:18 »
Hi,
Do you find the coolglass stuff makes a  significant difference, I think I should try it if it does? Im sure I heard somewhere about using windowlene and leaving that on.

What about temps. do you have a max. temp you try and avoid?

Thx I'll try some trays of water too.

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 10:05 »
The coolglass does help, as do the water trays for humidity etc. But I think that noshed has hit the nail on the head. If it’s not convenient for you to be opening and closing doors and vents at every change in the weather, then it could be a losing battle in the hottest months of the year.
Incidentally, the smaller the greenhouse the bigger the problem. A large greenhouse has a bigger volume of air so doesn’t fluctuate as much.
Brian

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 10:36 »
I see what you're saying. Sometimes we do go away for a day or two and this is a problem (that and forgetting stuff, lol) but I guess in the summer at least where evening temperatures are higher there is nothing stopping me leaving vents / doors open?
Im thinking Aubergine and sweet pepper plants here, I guess as long as there is no danger of frost a cooler evening temp. of say 5c maybe, wouldn't cause a problem?

fletch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 10:40 »
I agree with the last comment. Coolglass definitely helps, if nothing else it seems to prevent scorch.
I am lucky in that my plot is across the road from my house so I can check daily. However, last summer if it was cool in the morning and I didn't open the door/windows and then it heated up during the day I would still come home to wilting plants and temps over 30C. And I practically live on site!
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

xx
Greenhouse growing

Started by mumsflowerpot on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 02, 2007, 17:02
by Sally A
xx
Growing in a greenhouse help

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 14:43
by thecakebaker
xx
Greenhouse growing

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 16:58
by mumofstig
xx
Growing veg' in an 'open'greenhouse.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 19:39
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 29 queries.