quails as pets??

• 10 Replies

sabrina

quails as pets??
« on: January 22, 2011, 22:25 »
hi we're thinkin of keepin quails as pets..done a little bit of research much of it conflicts tho. could anybody help..i'd like to know if they're ok to be kept inside the house?we have a cage standing about 3 ft high and approx 2ft wide..do they fly and if so do they fly well-this will be the determini factor whether we get some or not..any other useful information will be very much appreciated...Thanks
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:15 by sabrina »

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
Re: quails as pets??
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 22:31 »
They fly fairly well but with terrible accuracy, dont perch and smell!!

I would not by choice have them inside.... though I do keep the chicks inside for the first week to give them a head start but by the end of the week I am gaggin!!

Great for eggs and do become tame though not actually friendly as such.

Very easy to keep and sound nice in the summer ;)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 01:34 »
Some people keep them in the bottom of aviaries as they clean up the seed dropped by other birds.
I keep my 6 outside in a chicken run, and they are very flighty, if they get spooked they fly straight up until they hit the roof and fall back down again.
They do smell horrendous if you get too close to their coop (i.e. when i have to craw in to shut them inside to move the coop) The smell is horrible!!!
They are clean birds and don't take much looking after, we make sure ours have food and water, fresh grass every week and clean bedding. Other than that they just do their own thing.
Ours are pets, but they're not really pet like animals if you know what I mean.
Mine just sit in a corner all the time, wander out to get food and go back to the corner. They are cute little birds, but mine definitely do not enjoy being handled. They will let you pick them up to put them inside, but if you hold them too long they flap like mad until you let them go back to where they want.
I love my little quail, but there are better birds if you just want them as pets.
I've had my quail for about 5 months now, and although they're all old enough to lay I had one egg a day for the first two days and nothing since. Hopefully they'll start again soon =D They were good eggs when they did lay though!
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 08:43 »
I wouldn't have thought they will make good pets as they are very flighty and will not appreciate being handled. All my research said they smell but have had mine for nearly a year now, with an egg a day during the laying season from each, and I don't find them smelly. I do have a very sensitive nose. I must point out though that they are kept in a barn not at home. All my friends and their children find them very cute but they are wild animals in essence. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 09:59 »
OH kept Chinese painted quail in a box cage once, but as others have said, they were very flighty and would be better if they had some decent cover. They didn't smell too much though.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 16:09 »
I have to say I really like my quail and they are far easier to look after and smell a lot less than the ducks but that isn't really a high bar to set! I have kept them inside for a while due to having to separate a couple that were getting picked on and the worst problem I had with that was the amount of dust they seem to generate rather than smell. The advantage was that they continued to lay over winter due to the supplemental light but have to say wasn't really worth it for all the dust and am very happy to have them outside again now.
Mine live in a sheltered rabbit hutch and all seem very happy with that.
As has been said they don't really like being handled but mine love mealworms and happily run up to me for their treats and those that are regularly handled will sit in my hands while being stroked gently, they just don't like being encircled and panic if this happens.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

sabrina

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 19:33 »
thank you for all the info..going to give it some more thort..but still very tempted :)

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 21:32 »
Sabrina .... it all depends if you want them as a to look at and lay eggs pet..... or a cuddle and snuggle pet.

I have just bought an african grey parrot..... while he is a great look at and listen to pet if I were to cuddle him I would lose at best a finger at worst an eye!!!

He really seems to hate me :( which is a shame as he was rather costly..... but so long as he doesnt hurt me I will tolerate his nasty nature as he is very comical with his speaking :)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 09:39 »
Sabrina .... it all depends if you want them as a to look at and lay eggs pet..... or a cuddle and snuggle pet.

I have just bought an african grey parrot..... while he is a great look at and listen to pet if I were to cuddle him I would lose at best a finger at worst an eye!!!

He really seems to hate me :( which is a shame as he was rather costly..... but so long as he doesnt hurt me I will tolerate his nasty nature as he is very comical with his speaking :)

Sorry to hear about your African Grey. Did you know they usually have a preference for either male or female humans? I f you have one that prefers the opposite sex it may never be a "pet" for you. :(

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 18:56 »
Yeah had heard that and specifically went for one that liked its lady owner :(

Didnt care much for the husband either :(

Ahh well, live and learn....... if it wants to live it had better learn to like me!!!  :D :D :D

sabrina

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 10:42 »
chookiechook hi really sorry about yr parrot-maybe in timet'll come round??
Thanks for everybodies advice..we have got ourselves a couple of quail(japenese variety)and they are very beautiful,so far they don't mind bein handled at all,aren't bothered by the dogs,but,they do seem to poo alot..only got them on monday but they seem very chilled,no eggs yet,but they're pretty young-can't wait for that..Whiile i'm here,could i ask what is maybe the best thing to put in the bottom of the cage?so far i have lined it with newspaper n wood shavings-is there maybe anything better??cheers look forward to replys ::)

xx
quails?

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 11, 2008, 21:47
by chickenlady
xx
Quails

Started by stu_wat on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 08, 2008, 11:41
by chicken soup
xx
Does anyone have Quails?

Started by Butterfly on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post November 07, 2007, 09:24
by muntjac
xx
anyone know anything about quails?

Started by sunshineband on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 16:29
by poppies

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 35 queries.