Another newbie

• 22 Replies

DiggerDog

Re: Another newbie
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2022, 23:25 »
Thanks, Coldandwindy (name anything to do with your location by chance?) I will pause to think about the rotavator for a bit.  Good news is I have a tap 20 feet away from the plot.  Hooray!

snowdrops

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2022, 11:19 »
...but it's been so blooming rainy. I now have 10 pallets on the plot ready, but the place is like a bog. I've decided to stop paddling about in it. With a bit of luck we'll get a few dry days before the weekend and I'll build my monster compost bins on Saturday.

Yes always a good plan to stay off the ground when it’s sodden
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2022, 12:35 »
Greetings DiggerDog! I like your chosen name because I used to have a dachshund that we nicknamed DiggerDog (for the usual reasons).

If you cut and suppress weeds (black plastic) on some smaller areas now, you may be able to get something growing on those when the weather warms a bit. As others have suggested, see what your allotment folks require.

Good luck!
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

DiggerDog

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2022, 22:09 »
I have a Westie, hence Diggerdog for me too. :-)

Right - I've built 3 compost bins from the pallets and started to fill them, and through a friend of a friend I'm off to collect a boot-full of sheep poo at the weekend to mix in as I go.  I've also bought a pile of fence posts and wire netting to replace the collapsed fence between me and the neighbours plot (with one very happy neighbour to boot!)

Cor - a lot going on seeing as I've not supposed to have started yet!

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2022, 22:25 »
Belated welcome Diggerdog ! .     Sounds like you are getting on well , good to hear you have your bins up and running . I find three bins great for a continuous supply of compost. Sheep poo , good stuff !!  :)

Dekzion

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2022, 18:06 »
A new plot is a nightmare and a dream all in one! Welcome to the 'allotment effect'!
When I started mine 2 years ago I built a perennial weed bin, I screw bolted 4 pieces of corrugated tin together to make a solid bin, lobbed the clods in that and then covered it with a builder bag to keep the light and rain out.
It is now dry dust and I'll be throwing it back on the plot. Reason being is that dumping weeds to the corporation is removing a layer of good topsoil.
I get Digestate from a local energy plant but local horse owners are only too glad to get rid of manure which is usually more straw than anything. I also built three compost bins but used used plastic pallets as they wont deteriorate (they cost £6 each)

DiggerDog

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2022, 14:22 »
Making progress!

The fences are now replaced, and six beds marked out and covered 6 weeks ago which have now been dug over. I've also prepared a base ready for a shed. Meanwhile, just to get started I've got some seed potatoes chitting back home and some squash seedlings coming along nicely!  :D

DiggerDog

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2022, 13:26 »
Well, I ended up doing far more than I'd planned this year - just couldn't resist.

I've been harvesting sweetcorn, cucumbers, lettuce, potatoes, spinach (what a great crop!) and herbs (basil and parsley), and I've got loads of butternut squash coming on nicely as well as some leeks looking good.  I had a few drawf french beans from a couple of plants given to me by a plot neighbour. I think I'll grow more of those next year. And I'll try peas too.

So, mostly a success - just a couple of minor failures including spring onions (sparse and pathetic-looking) and bulb fennel (having no bulbs to speak of yet.)

Over winter, I'm planning to build a lean-to greenhouse against my shed, then chillis it is!

xx
Hi, newbie here

Started by Howard Mayers on Welcome to the Forums

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2020, 11:25
by Howard Mayers
xx
Newbie saying hello to one and all

Started by hawthorn_spike on Welcome to the Forums

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2015, 22:27
by hawthorn_spike
xx
Newbie here

Started by gabithompson730 on Welcome to the Forums

4 Replies
Last post July 22, 2017, 08:45
by snowdrops
xx

Started by Ian Boundy on Welcome to the Forums

5 Replies
Last post August 19, 2020, 09:35
by basketcase

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 44 queries.