Has anyone got a wormery

• 9 Replies

gillwrig

Has anyone got a wormery
« on: August 13, 2009, 11:17 »
Hi All

I really fancy getting one of those wormery things which turns your garden waste into compost .  (I've already got three heaps on the go)

Has anyone got one and if so are they worth the money?

Thanks - Gill

Bigbadfrankie

Re: Has anyone got a wormery
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 19:26 »
We have one. nNot sure about them very slow to get going. A lot of our worms have died, but also there seems to be a lot of young / short ones. Not yet eaten the sunday roast
always have a target
and an objective.

goodegg

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 19:35 »
ive got a wormery but i dont find it all that good uptill now i got it given from my sister but it is very wet the compost i mean i have used some of the compost after drying for two days i cant seem to dry it out in the bin although i have put lots of shredded news paper in it i dont know if its possible to get it dry again and there is little flies when i open the lid i have only had it one month so still hoping to sort it out yet.

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 19:46 »
I think you will sort it, the wormery seems to be a long term slow prodject. We have the "can o worms" and  it came as a kit with a lid but it still seem have a lot of water in it.
And a lot of worms with no life jackets ::) :tongue2:

goodegg

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 18:16 »
that made me laugh. i thought it would be dry in there .mabe they are all wet with no life jackets

missycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 22:49 »
I found my wormery tricky to set up properly initially the worms made several attempt to escape, kept finding dried up worms around the utility room (where I kept them until it dawned on me worms usually live outside :wub:) and I still can't work out how they got in the washing basket.
I still have the wormery after a year but havn't had enough compost to use yet and they still try to leave if I over or under feed them. My verdict... save your money...dig a trench where you plan to grow beans, bury all your waste and let the free-range worms do the work. :)

Vi

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 04:54 »
I've got a worm farm, they don't do too much in the way of compost, very very slow.  But if you 'water' your worms once a week with about 2 litres of water (using a watering can to sprinkle the water over the surface) then let the water drain through, collect this 'tea' and use it for fertiliser.  Very good for plants :) 

Vi

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 17:17 »
Ours have finaly started to do some eating and we do not find any dead ones anymore
it has been a while though a good six months. Its strange now they every thing nothing left at all.

JohnB47

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 22:36 »
I've had one for about two years now. Here's my experience.

1. It was quite an expensive thing to buy - just over £100 for a complete kit.

2. It started off well, using the supplied worms and their 'bedding' (that they ate). But then it started to grow spectacular mould on top. I contacted the supplier and they could only suggest making sure it was sited in a well ventilated area and to turn the food stuff over. That didn't work and after much inspection over time I realised that it was pieces of bread and cooked veg (eg left over potatoes) that was the problem. So only put raw stuff in there, even if it's all veg.

3. After that things settled down but as someone else has said, it's pretty slow to work. Don't expect to get rid of loads of kitchen waste quickly.

4. Even when the lowest layer is ready to be removed, it doesn't produce all that much compost. Although it does produce a lot of worm juice.

5. I can't find anywhere that describes the actual makeup of the juice, only statements like ' dilute 1 to 10 for great plant food'. I tried feeding it to my tomatoes this year, then gave up when I realised that the plants just weren't thriving and started to drop their flowers. After about 10 days of using proper tomato feed, they recovered really well. So I won't be doing that again.

Conclusions?

A wormery is useful if you want to avoid having to give moderate quantities of raw kitchen waste to the refuse collection. It does not work very quickly and produces only small amounts of (very wet) compost and a fair amount of juice, although I have no evidence of how good that is. I will continue to use mine for now but I may decide instead to use a compost bin that I'm building for my new allotment. If I'd had the opportunity to see a wormery in action, over a period of a few months, I would probably not have bothered. I've read on the web about people who build their own bigger ones - they say the proprietry ones are simply too small. Google for wormery and see what you find.

Good luck.

StephenRowley

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 13:59 »
Ive recently acquired an what seems to be a good book on composting. There wormerie suggests using an converting wheelie bin, but you can use anything that sealed use a grid of some material at the bottom to allow the fluid to run though and hole with which to direct the fluid into a container.

According to this book a wormerie won't produce lots of compost but more of a fertiliser. It says only add small amounts of waste at a time.

It only two quid so its worth a gander.

book link is here
http://greenbooks.co.uk/store/composting-for-all-p-85.html?osCsid=opeahab32foq0u4bqhvlh3u5v1

xx
Wormery

Started by andyww2013 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post December 03, 2018, 10:16
by New shoot
xx
Wormery

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post February 25, 2010, 15:49
by aelf
xx
Wormery and rats

Started by Ema on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 28, 2021, 21:27
by Ema
xx
Wormery recommendations

Started by Francozeb on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post January 30, 2021, 16:38
by Francozeb

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 39 queries.