BRAMBLES AAARGH

• 10 Replies

mushroom

BRAMBLES AAARGH
« on: November 11, 2007, 18:12 »
Hi,

I have brambles at the southern border of my plot. They have encroached about 10 feet (north) into my plot. Now, this is a significant inroad into my limited real estate (about 80ft x20 ft) and this winter, I'd like to shift most of it. I don't want to kill all of it, because it provides cover against prying eyes and makes climbing over the fence a very uncomfortable experience. But I'd like most of my real estate back.

Now, the bit that I want to remove is established. I mean, established for years. Cutting the brambles down I can handle. Where I foresee difficulty is dealing with the roots. Is there a "proper way" of doing this, or shall I carry on with my usual method of brute force and ignorance?

How deep do bramble roots go, usually? I have a mattock to deal with roots - is this sufficient, or should I hire some tool from somewhere?

Brambles and nettles. This is more difficult than the buried glass in the front part. The brambles are over a couple of inches thick in places near the ground.

:shock:  :(

muntjac

BRAMBLES AAARGH
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 18:14 »
hack it right back to the roots on all fronts ,burn the rubbish .now chop up the roots until your back to the edge of your " estate"  and then put up wires n posts n when the roots spring forth new branches tie these into the wires ,dig up all roots not within this  training line  :wink: .feed in spring with some nice manure n they will come back ,under control and tamed  :lol:
still alive /............

mushroom

BRAMBLES AAARGH
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 18:29 »
cheers Munty, I was hoping you'd reply.

Looks like I've got me work cut out for me then, next weekend!  :lol:

Sadly, we're not allowed to burn garden waste until next bonfire night. What I've been doing is lopping off what I can, putting that into a pile, then cutting the brambles into smaller bits with the secateurs, then putting the bits into an  old oil drum. I was wondering, if I hired a shredder, would the resulting bits be usable on the soil or in a composter?

Brambles seem quite indestructible, unless burned. I wanted to avoid taking em to the tip unless there was no other choice  :(

Secondly, can secateurs be sharpened???

muntjac

BRAMBLES AAARGH
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 18:32 »
Quote from: "mushroom"
cheers Munty, I was hoping you'd reply.

Looks like I've got me work cut out for me then, next weekend!  :lol:

Sadly, we're not allowed to burn garden waste until next bonfire night. What I've been doing is lopping off what I can, putting that into a pile, then cutting the brambles into smaller bits with the secateurs, then putting the bits into an  old oil drum. I was wondering, if I hired a shredder, would the resulting bits be usable on the soil or in a composter?

Brambles seem quite indestructible, unless burned. I wanted to avoid taking em to the tip unless there was no other choice  :(

yes they will compost ,soak em in water for a few weeks n then tip it on the compost pile water n all ,,,,,, yes secateurs can be sharpened .well one edge only .the sharp edge  :roll:   can be filed to retain the angle of cut alreadty there ,and then oil and tighten them up a little till the spring throws the the blade  back unde pressure  :wink:

mushroom

BRAMBLES AAARGH
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 18:36 »
cool, cheers for the tip. I was unaware of the soaking in water bit.

muntjac

BRAMBLES AAARGH
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 18:39 »
cool, cheers for the tip. I was unaware of the soaking in water bit.

makes em go all funny n they fall to bits  :roll:

splodger

BRAMBLES AAARGH
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 19:13 »

i just clean and sharpen my secs with sandpaper - quick - easy and very effective - and i keep them  oiled too :wink:

mushroom

BRAMBLES AAARGH
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 19:29 »
What grade of sandpaper? Is it wet and dry stuff?

splodger

BRAMBLES AAARGH
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 19:48 »
i used to - (well still do ish) restore furniture - so i just use whats lying around - normally quite fine but not wet n dry  :wink:

i use sandpaper to keep most things sharp - sometimes use a stone first and paper to smooth it down - helps to remove rust on your tools too - just remember to oil 2

londongardener

• Experienced Member
BRAMBLES AAARGH
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 13:59 »
Quote from: "muntjac"

yes they will compost ,soak em in water for a few weeks n then tip it on the compost pile water n al

Could I also compost contaminated (with stick insect waste) newspapers like this by soaking them for a few weeks ?

muntjac

BRAMBLES AAARGH
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 14:38 »
yups :wink:

xx
Getting rid of brambles

Started by BarnBrian on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 11:30
by Johndeb
question
Brambles.

Started by SunnyDays@7 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post February 20, 2018, 18:46
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Dealing with brambles

Started by Tom Parrot on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post February 05, 2019, 13:42
by Tom Parrot
xx
Bindweed and brambles everywhere :/

Started by Carla on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 19, 2010, 19:05
by pigeonpie

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 35 queries.