Apple trees in NW facing garden

• 3 Replies

boogaloo

Apple trees in NW facing garden
« on: March 30, 2012, 22:32 »
Hi folks

My front garden is NW facing... it gets precious little sun from morning to mid afternoon, but then gets a fairly decent long slug of sun in summer evenings from about 4pm to about 9pm (nice and light, nice and late up here in Scotland).

Is that enough to encourage an apple tree to fruit? Or at very least to be healthy?

I love apple trees, and whilst a crop would be nice I mostly just care that it would grow well and look healthy.

What do people think - worth a shot? Or never going to happen....

Boog

boogaloo

Re: Apple trees in NW facing garden
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 22:49 »
Oh, and while I'm at it, any ideas for other trees / shrubs that might be appropriate for the front garden of a house that faces NW? I've recently had to remove a pretty large and healthy Korean fir tree that this forum helpfully warned me was going to grow into a beast and potentially threaten my foundations. The border's probably about 5-6m from the front of the house.

Don't want anything huge, just something that will give about 2-4metres height.

Have a buddlejah and magnolia recently planted in the same border.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 03:17 »
Not sure what I can suggest for your second question, but the apple trees might do okay where you're thinking of planting them. If anything, they might ripen a bit later than usual, but better later than none at all. I would stick with a dwarf or semi dwarf tree and place it in the most sunny spot in that area.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 13:15 »
I have a NE facing back garden and my apples trees do quite well. In terms of timings I find that things grown in my garden end up 3-5 weeks behind the same things grown on my allotment which is South facing. (Does hugely depend on actual hours of sun I find rather than daylight, as I've been comparing for a number of years now)
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

xx
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 18:11
by londongardener
xx
North-West Facing Garden

Started by Ginge666 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 16, 2015, 20:41
by Thrutchington
clip
Apple Trees pt2

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2022, 12:08
by hasbeans
xx
Apple trees

Started by engineer on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 01, 2012, 19:08
by leeks r us

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 28 queries.