beer, all ready to start, any last minute advice

• 13 Replies

anitaws

beer, all ready to start, any last minute advice
« on: October 09, 2011, 17:01 »
Hi All

its all your fault I'm doing this!  One rainy dinner time at work with nothing else to do I was looking at this forum for things of interest 'fancy making homebrew' I thought so I put it tactfully to my hustand on the way home.  How could he say no to 40 pints for £20ish quid.  So I've got all the things together that I think I'll need and a Woodford Wherry kit, we both liked this beer when we were in Norfolk, and next week I'll be mixing it all together and see what happens.

Do you have any last minute hints or tips for a first time home brewer?

Growster...

Re: beer, all ready to start, any last minute advice
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 17:46 »
Biggest tip of all Anita?

Don't get too worried or bothered about the mumbo-jumbo in home brew, and wine for that matter!

If the Brits have been doing this for years, then apart from keeping everything as clean as possible, follow your instinct, accept that sometimes it'll go wrong, and finally, be prepared for a great pint/glass when you feel like it - not necessrily when it says you can on the can...

Even this lunchtime, I suggested to Mrs Growster that I'd half a mind to get a brew going - the first since about 25 years!

Better tips will come from a certain member from Canterbury no doubt!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 18:38 »

I didn't know the Archbishop was into home brewing. :ohmy: :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

kegs

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 19:20 »
My hubby recently made this beer and liked it so much he's just been out to buy a second box.  As a novice the only part he found tricky was syphoning off the beer without disturbing the sediment.  Once he bought a different hose with a tap and an extra part on the bottom to raise it just above the sediment without disturbing it life was much easier.  Good luck and enjoy.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 21:16 »

I didn't know the Archbishop was into home brewing. :ohmy: :lol:

Ha ha ha Ice!

It's a well known fact that the Archbishop likes several pints of Shepherd Neames' 'Bishops Finger', before meeting the great unwashed...

I'll stop here, as many people don't ever get the chance to sup this fantastic brew, and the Moderators will say I'm out of order, and I'll have to agree that they're absolutely right to stop me saying Sheps is the best beer in the UK...

I can see the messages from the Mods as we speak...;0(

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 21:38 »
I have partaken of the "Bishop's Finger" and found it to be a most amusing vintage. :)  But yes, those amongst us that havn't might find this thread most rude. ;)

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 21:46 »
I have partaken of the "Bishop's Finger" and found it to be a most amusing vintage. :)  But yes, those amongst us that havn't might find this thread most rude. ;)

Ice; it's a great beer, and I hope the name will live on - because it epitomises my home county...

(That's enough seriousness Growster, you can stop there...;0)

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 00:58 »
It's Geordie Yorkshire bitter for me. £8-99 in my local Trashco. I brew a kit every week, and get no end of neighbours calling round just to say hello!  :)

anitaws

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 18:12 »
Bubbling away nicely, one a week will be a bit much but I am planning 1 a fornight.  I like Wtichwood blond ale, any idea's what might be simular, its my turn for a favourite next weekend. I also like waggledance, but that one will have wait as I know it will be two for hubby and one for me.

Robster

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 11:12 »
I recently started brewing beer again after about 25 years off, as a guy in the brew shop where I was getting some kit for cider said the brew kits were much better nowadays.
Instantly took up the challenge with a Woodfordes Wherry.  What a brew.  That did not last long.  Back in the grove again.

I am currently working my way across the Woodfordes range.

Enjoy- cracking

To answer the question.  Keep everything very clean and follow the instructions

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 12:20 »
That sounds good Robster!

I bought one of those clear plastic storage boxes at Triscos recently, as it has a lid, and I don't see why it shouldn't work as a beer fermenting barrel...

We'll see!

the4diggers

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 16:10 »
Just a quick one from me if you don't already know it you can use any of the one can kits and either add 1kg of Dried Malt Extract or 1kg of Beer Kit Enhancer and make a much better beer than with sugar....

Also, by adding DME or BKE to a single can kit you are vastly increasing the range of beers you can do to the two can quality level...

And, I find some of the two can kits end up sticking and finishing slightly too sweet.

Not done much in the way of country wines though so am looking forward to learning from you guys on that one...!

bearhugger1972

• my blog
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 22:02 »

Not done much in the way of country wines though so am looking forward to learning from you guys on that one...!
I've got about 4kg of elderberries in the freezer just waiting. I am going to do a couple of kits first to get the hang of brewing and then I'll have a go with the elderberries. Hopefully next Christmas we'll have a few bottles of decent country wines. Also, while picking the elderberries I found a couple of blue berry bushes so i will pick them next year if i can get a good recipie (before the wife turns them into a pie or crumble that is!).
Hopefully this time next week i will be bottling my first beer brew. Its bubbling away nicely as i type. :D
Work is for those who don't know how to garden

stompy

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 08:32 »
I have (in the past) made lots of elderberry wine and find that it's deffinately better being left for a year or tow to settle it's self down.

The skins have a very high tanin content and this needs time to mellow.
Fantastic wine though when it's been left for a bit, full of body and very deep flavour.
In my opinion though there is only one wine to beat it and thats Blackberry/bramble wine.

Now that is a good wine  ;)

xx
Beer nearly ready for bottling

Started by stompy on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post February 11, 2012, 13:42
by nobby400
xx
One minute wine

Started by greenun on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 17:55
by ohbeary
question
Beer Finings

Started by desksmudger on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post February 22, 2010, 21:56
by harrymac
xx
Beer for slugs

Started by sion01 on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post November 15, 2012, 19:25
by mattwragg94

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 36 queries.