What can I do to encourage my hens to lay?

• 2 Replies

sarah1983jane

• Experienced Member
What can I do to encourage my hens to lay?
« on: April 10, 2011, 18:24 »
I have a trio of pekin bantams, they are such good pets, very cuddly but I wish they would lay an egg!
The cock is about 1 year old, the girls are about 4 or 5 months old.
We have seen the boy...lets say...entertaining the girls so I assume thats a good sign
They get fed corn, layer pellets, grit, always have clean water and have a hen house with  a run but get let out daily to scratch around freely.
Oh they get daily cuddles!
We are caring for them... do you think they just need more time or am I depriving them of something?
Any advise?
Thanks

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: What can I do to encourage my hens to lay?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 18:27 »
4-5 months is still young for pure breeds.  Although our hybrids usually start to lay between 18 & 26 weeks, the youngest of the pure breeds we bred last year and previous year were 32 weeks old when they started to lay and up to 42 weeks for some of them!

jinty1911

Re: What can I do to encourage my hens to lay?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 18:57 »
I have a trio of pekin bantams, they are such good pets, very cuddly but I wish they would lay an egg!
The cock is about 1 year old, the girls are about 4 or 5 months old.
We have seen the boy...lets say...entertaining the girls so I assume thats a good sign
They get fed corn, layer pellets, grit, always have clean water and have a hen house with  a run but get let out daily to scratch around freely.
Oh they get daily cuddles!
We are caring for them... do you think they just need more time or am I depriving them of something?
Any advise?

Aren't they wonderful.  Only had my new girls for less than a week and they have come up for cuddles, especially Baby, she is up every night.  I love it.  :lol:  :lol:
Thanks

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 33 queries.