And now the wasps are picking on me.

• 19 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
And now the wasps are picking on me.
« on: August 15, 2010, 20:17 »
I noticed today that every single pear on my tree - and there's quite a few of them - has been eaten by wasps and flies. Yet they're nowhere near ripe yet. And some of the fruit on the apple tree next to it are also being attacked by wasps, and they also are nowhere near ripe yet.

Surely it's not normal for wasps to go after rock solid fruit that isn't ripe?

8doubles

Re: And now the wasps are picking on me.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 20:30 »
The first fruit to ripen often has a codling moth grub in it , when i give the plum tree its first shake 95% of the 'ripe' ones that fall of have a grub in them. I expect the waspies are going for these fruit .

Another thought if every pear has a chunk out of it, have you any squirrels local.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 20:33 by 8doubles »

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 21:11 »
The first fruit to ripen often has a codling moth grub in it , when i give the plum tree its first shake 95% of the 'ripe' ones that fall of have a grub in them. I expect the waspies are going for these fruit .

Another thought if every pear has a chunk out of it, have you any squirrels local.

No, this isn't some of the pears, it's all of them. Every single one on the tree was being eaten by flies and wasps. I stood and watched them streaming in and out of the fruit. And yes, we do have squirrels nearby, but we've got 3 dogs that are out in the garden most of the day, one of which is a lurcher, and they make pretty good squirrel deterrents.

pigeonpie

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 23:02 »
Wasps have amazingly strong jaws and will easily eat through a perfectly healthy piece of fruit.  Every apple on my new Discovery tree has wasp holes in.  I know they normally like these apples as they used to enjoy the old tree and I've always thought that it's because it's an early fruiting variety.  However, I've never known them to be quite so greedy!
I usually put a wasp trap under the fruit trees but I don't really like to as I know wasps do have their uses but I figure I'm only catching those who are threatening the fruit, not the rest of the garden. 

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 00:03 »
Wasps have amazingly strong jaws and will easily eat through a perfectly healthy piece of fruit.  Every apple on my new Discovery tree has wasp holes in.  I know they normally like these apples as they used to enjoy the old tree and I've always thought that it's because it's an early fruiting variety.  However, I've never known them to be quite so greedy!
I usually put a wasp trap under the fruit trees but I don't really like to as I know wasps do have their uses but I figure I'm only catching those who are threatening the fruit, not the rest of the garden. 

At this point it's too late for the pears, but I really don't want to lose the whole crop from the apple tree, and nor do I want to pick them now, before they're ripe. There's already a few apples being attacked by wasps, and I suspect once all the pears are gone completely they'll move over to the rest of the apples. I too don't like to do anything to harm them, but I don't know of any other way to stop them. I certainly don't want to go searching for the nest and kill off the whole lot.

What surprises me is that when the fruit is so unripe I wouldn't have thought it would be giving off any smell to attract the wasps. And I'm also surprised this has suddenly happened this year, when it's never happened before. There's always a wasp nest somewhere in the garden, cos it's a big garden, but the only thing I've noticed them attacking before was the gages when they started smelling ripe.

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 00:58 »
There is probably a nest quite close to the tree. One less wasp nest will probably solve your problem.

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 01:13 »
Take care with them... a mate of mine had a very bad reaction to being stung by one wasp on the plot as he disturbed their nest next to a compost heap.  :(

An arm that looked like Popeye's and great discomfort for a week.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

evie2

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 14:00 »
we used to sell wasp catchers, glass bottle, open bottom with a channel you put something sweet in and some water, wasps fly up and can't fly out.  I've never used one myself however those who have love them.
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 15:43 »
I have watched wasps chewing pieces off a fence post to make their nest which proves they have the jaw power to break into the hardest fruit but it still seems unusual that all of the pears are under attack. Wasps normally seem to concentrate on one or two fruit eating it hollow before moving on to a fresh fruit.

I still think that the damage may have been started by a young squirrel or even several birds before the wasps took over.

If you want to thin the wasps out a bit here`s a simple trap, http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Wasp-Trap

pigeonpie

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 20:05 »
Wasps normally seem to concentrate on one or two fruit eating it hollow before moving on to a fresh fruit.

I still think that the damage may have been started by a young squirrel or even several birds before the wasps took over.

Perhaps if there are so many wasps they don't want to share?  I'm pretty sure all the apples on my tree have only had wasp damage, although it is only a young tree so not huge amounts of fruit.
I make a wasp trap by putting a 1cm hole in the lid of a jam jar, putting a few spoonfuls of jam in the jar, putting on the lid and placing it out under the trees.  The wasps are attracted by the sweet jam but then can't get back out.

evie2

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 10:09 »

If you want to thin the wasps out a bit here`s a simple trap, http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Wasp-Trap

Excellent tip doubles  :D

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 14:44 »
I bought some "Waspinators" recently, and they seem to be working.

The idea is they look like a wasp nest so they deter wasps from the area.  I've been hanging them near our patio at home and under the parasol when we eat.  I also took them camping.  They do definitely seem to minimise the numbers of wasps that visit, although presumably the wasps need to have seen them to know they're there, so they're not an instant remedy.

I got them from my local camping shop (£12 or so for 2) and I've seen them in those catalogues you get with the Sunday papers.

I used to use traps but I found they attracted wasps so although they trapped them, they brought more into the vicinity....

hope this helps, Penny
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Coach

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 15:17 »

[/quote]

What about the wasps rights!!!

You will have the do-gooders after you :tongue2: 8)
It all depends what you put into the ground, to what you get out

8doubles

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 15:32 »

What about the wasps rights!!!

You will have the do-gooders after you :tongue2: 8)
[/quote]

I am pro-wasp the only ones i kill are by-catch in the fly trap. The wopsies save my brassica`s from the hoards of caterpillars but if some are a problem i would rather people kill those few rather than wipe out the whole nest.

Pest control is preferable to exterminating the whole native species, unless you have Dalek tendencies. :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 00:03 »
Apparently there are around 300 different types of wasp in the UK, if the article linked to below is correct,  so I guess we shouldn't be too hard on them if ony 5 or 6 types are actually a pest in and around our homes.

Click here for Waspies

xx
WASPS

Started by nickthegreek on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 16:46
by Greengirl
xx
Wasps

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 23, 2018, 10:41
by DHM
xx
Wasps

Started by Eristic on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 30, 2006, 17:39
by Ian_P
xx
Wasps?

Started by Siouxfly on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 16:51
by raisedbed

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 33 queries.