Ride-on Lawnmower for paddock

• 25 Replies

gsc

• Experienced Member
Ride-on Lawnmower for paddock
« on: May 05, 2010, 07:17 »
Morning all

Does any-one have experience of ride-on mowers over rough ground?

I was wondering about getting a mower for our two acres to save me having to get a contractor in every time.

I'm not bothered about it being slow or missing a bit here and there but it's not exactly a pristine lawn ie has holes and bumps etc.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Re: Ride-on Lawnmower for paddock
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 07:27 »
I do but it might be a bit big for your needs (sorry not much help but your story so far sounds like it could get very interesting with your land)  We have a  small tractor you might want to look at the cost of the contractor against the mower and safe storage for it. They do go missing often  :mad: >:(
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 07:30 by Rangerkris »
Thanks
Kris

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 12:13 »
Hubby is dead set against the idea  ::) so I guess I have to justify costwise which limits what I can spend.  Not sure if I can get something second hand that's capable of doing the job.

madcat

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 14:46 »
I've used "domestic" ride on mowers - with the cutter decks both in front and underneath.  They are fine for less than perfect lawns, but a real paddock would be pushing it, even with the cutter set high.

If the ground is bumpy, you will get problems as the wheels can go round the bump and the deck will hit it and try to chew through it or you will get stuck.  Result - stall and possibly a broken belt.   :mad:  Holes aren't a problem, unless it is big enough that when you hit it with a wheel, it tilts the machine.  Mole hills are a nuisance but rabbit holes can be a pain.   Stones can be dangerous or just damage the blades.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

smud6ie

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 15:28 »
I do but it might be a bit big for your needs (sorry not much help but your story so far sounds like it could get very interesting with your land)  We have a  small tractor you might want to look at the cost of the contractor against the mower and safe storage for it. They do go missing often  :mad: >:(
I have a Countax C400H with a mulching deck and you would never believe where that will cut.I also pull a small car trailer for fire wood and a tow behind scarifier.

I have just bought something for my tougher areas and scrub picture here:

The Countax also cuts the area in the picture which is so steep in parts that I have a job to stay in the seat :ohmy:
smud6ie
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 15:55 by smud6ie »

Spana

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 15:50 »
I dont think a ride-on would do it either.  Cant you let something graze it :unsure:

madcat

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 15:56 »
The Countax C400H is a bit more butch than the mowers I have used - it is justifiably a garden tractor.

Llamas would be fun!   :D

Gwiz

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 16:27 »
I've used all sorts, from very cheap "B&Q ride ons, to full sized tractors.
The John Deere range are very good, hold their money quite well, and are quite tough.

smud6ie

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 17:48 »
GSC, if you don't mind,what does the contractor use,how long does it take and how much does he charge for cutting your 2 acres of grass?
thanks
smud6ie

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 18:31 »
The John Deere range are very good, hold their money quite well, and are quite tough.

Im waiting on my new John Deere as we type  :wacko: it should be here next week hahahahai love new toy's to play with.

Gwiz

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 18:44 »

Im waiting on my new John Deere as we type  :wacko: it should be here next week hahahahai love new toy's to play with.

Our mob use everything from the garden LTR's to the big boy farm tractors. We definitely have more John Deere than anything else.

smud6ie

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 18:59 »

It is nice to have a new toy to play with ,I wonder if it will be around in 30 years time like my new to me   Kubota i :)

smud6ie

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 20:19 »
I will keep my eyes open for a cheapish second hand John Deere maybe but I'm guessing they will be out of my price range.

The chap that cuts for us has a proper tractor.  It is very quick - the time is more getting to us and back again than anything.  I think he charges about £50 a time if I remember rightly.

jimbeekeeper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 10:18 »
For me my choice would be

Keep on paying the guy £50 each time even if it was 3 times per year.

Or

Find somone (expect they will find you) to PAY YOU to have there e.g sheep on the feild.

Does not have to be a cash payment, maybe a leg or so of one of the anaimals?

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 11:10 »
For me my choice would be

Keep on paying the guy £50 each time even if it was 3 times per year.

Or

Find somone (expect they will find you) to PAY YOU to have there e.g sheep on the feild.

Does not have to be a cash payment, maybe a leg or so of one of the anaimals?

I did wonder about goats but no joy yet.  Sheep not a good idea.  We have Dobes and I doubt anyone would want to put there sheep near running dogs even if a fence did protect them  :D

The one thing I have against using the contractor is that I would like a bit of an orchard in half of it, which I could do with a ride-on but it would be difficult with a full size tractor such as the contractors have.

xx
Ride on mower

Started by Maison Lammonite on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 22:25
by Maison Lammonite
xx
ride on instructions

Started by owein on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post July 19, 2011, 12:25
by owein
xx
Thinking of buying a ride-on mower...

Started by garden elf on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post August 28, 2011, 13:01
by arugula
xx
Anyone good with Murray Sentinel Ride-ons please?

Started by GrannieAnnie on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post July 13, 2017, 11:12
by shedmeister

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 32 queries.