Reverse spring cleaning and other winter jobs

• 12 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Reverse spring cleaning and other winter jobs
« on: November 04, 2023, 10:48 »
I know the norm is to get the house cleaned thoroughly in spring, but I always find I am busy gardening.

During the summer I hoover and do some basic cleaning, but nine times out of ten, I am outside as often as I can be.

My annual big clean is always autumn or winter and with the weather as dire as it is, the big project has already kicked in. Just emptied and pulled out the bookcases downstairs to get behind them. Eek  :ohmy:  A goodly haul of dust and grime removed there  ::)

Now eyeing the dining room table to pull out and the tv corner. Wish me luck  :lol:

What’s your wet weather project list?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Reverse spring cleaning and other winter jobs
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 11:25 »
Good luck with that  ::)  :lol:
I always start sewing, usually quilting - but this year after my move, I've started on new curtains..
The old curtains I brought with me were all the wrong sizes, old house windows were tall and narrow, new bungalow ones are short and very wide with rads underneath  ::)
Lounge curtains and matching Roman blind are done, now to start on bedroom curtains and a matching patchwork quilt.
Family have also put in orders for 'holiday' quilts, so best get a move on  :D

MrsPea

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2023, 15:26 »
 I've also started did the fridge the other day then the cooker as i had a potato exployed in there so everything got taken out and cleaned it's like a brand new cooker now.
 Today i sorted some more cloths out ready for charity shop.  :)
I Love my green house

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2023, 17:06 »
Worzel’s father used to take their cooker out into the garden and wash it down with the hose pipe
 :ohmy: :ohmy: ::) :wacko:

GraciesGran

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2023, 21:46 »
When the weather's good who wants to be inside.  I've done the fridge and the kitchen cupboards, resulting in a box of bits for the charity shop. Next on the list is the airing cupboard, then it's the coat cupboard in the hall and wardrobes in the spare bedroom. I've also got a quilt to finish and a pile of mending. 

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2023, 08:25 »
I've always done mega cleaning before the festive event. Having already cleaned and polished lots of stuff and shampoo-ed carpets, I'm now going through storage cupboards and having a good chuck-out and my niece-in-law will be able to make use of quite a bit. I didn't buy them so don't blame me!  :lol: Also, we have a fitted table in the kitchen that's covered with all sorts of things so that's another one to do. The one place that badly needs a good sort out is the garage where we have lots of original horse brasses, some on leather hangers, plus bits of tat all of which needs to go to auction. There's also some home-made preserves my husband made a couple of years ago - cue niece-in-law. As she will need boxes to transport said stuff that's another job done!  :tongue2:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2023, 12:39 »
About five minutes ago, I turned our central island unit in the kitchen around 90 degrees, so I could have the Autumn mid-day sun on me while I got lunch ready!

It's one of those Catskill Mountain Wooden self-standing units Scotts of Stow used to sell, thirty years ago - Mrs Growster had set her heart on one back then, and it's our favourite work top, in pride of place!

But...the sun caught the side shelves which were knee-deep in dust, as was the pan shelf, so that's my job for the next fortnight...

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2023, 08:52 »
Ha ha that dratted sun! It will insist on showing all those fine cobwebs dangling from the ceilings and where it meets the wall.  :wacko:
Cleared my kitchen table last night whilst dinner was nurgling away, so just got to give it a good scrub and polish then put back some necessary stuff and job's a good'un. Next job is to replace some door handles as my lovely handyman got stuck in the back toilet room the other day as the handle had broken and I had to open the door for him!  ::)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2023, 13:03 »
I am the same as Snow drop.  I have made a start, but then I have to remember it will not stay like it, unless I clean it !!!!     The bit I dislike most is cleaning the venetian blinds, they were disgusting.   
I felt like a slovenly old person.   But I am winning.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2023, 18:33 »
Must get on the worktops and clean the kitchen window. It's got grease spots all over it  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2023, 18:42 »
Must get on the worktops and clean the kitchen window. It's got grease spots all over it  :ohmy:

Like many kitchens, our sink is in front of the kitchen window, and yes, it's a b***** to reach, especially as it gets splashed most days!

I gave it a seeing-to - oh, about three months ago, but even today, I began to wonder what was lurking behind the taps...

Our dog just moults continuously, and this jams the vacuum cleaner regularly! I can't use my favourite Black and Decker vacuum any more, as her fur clogs it all up in seconds!

But we love her..;0)

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2023, 08:41 »
I've got one of those bar-shaped sponges with a rubber squeegee on an extendable metal pole which I dunk in some hot, soapy water, squeeze some out then go over my windows by the sink and use the rubber squeegee to get the excess off, then I mop the windowsill. Ok, I get some streaks but who cares!  :wub:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2023, 16:00 »
I've got one of those bar-shaped sponges with a rubber squeegee on an extendable metal pole which I dunk in some hot, soapy water, squeeze some out then go over my windows by the sink and use the rubber squeegee to get the excess off, then I mop the windowsill. Ok, I get some streaks but who cares!  :wub:
I did mine the other day, I use vinegar and newspaper and clamber around.

I used to do tap dancing, but fell off into the sink. :wacko:  Mrs Bouquet

Edit to modify quote - Yorkie
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 20:30 by Yorkie »

xx
"Spring cleaning" the garden !!

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2018, 20:06
by mrs bouquet
xx
Electric drills in reverse!

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post January 26, 2021, 15:47
by grinling
xx
There's jobs to be done!

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

20 Replies
Last post November 01, 2023, 08:46
by Goosegirl
xx
What are your least favourite household jobs?

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post Today at 09:42
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 49 queries.