Should our government do more about obesity?

• 17 Replies

Goosegirl

Re: Should our government do more about obesity?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2023, 11:32 »
You can put all the health info out there but, at the end of the day, it is up to individuals to make their own choices as to what they eat. Making them feel guilty is not the way to go because it will do more harm than good. Basic cookery skills should be on the school agendas but there's probably no money to fund it. Going a bit off tangent here, do you think we'd possibly benefit from family meals around the table when ever possible (no mobiles allowed) as someone would at least have the chance to make a meal that was sufficient for the family and to be enjoyed for the effort put into it. You could even have a rota as who's doing it tonight!  :ohmy: :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2023, 13:16 »
Education is the answer I believe, but even with that the individual has to want to change. I’m testament to that, I’m reasonably educated (some may question that ) I’ve been involved in child care/education/health all my working life(40+ years) but still I’ve struggled with my weight. It’s the old nature versus nurture argument.  I honestly don’t buy into the big boned arguments I’m afraid, yes some people’s bones if measured/weighed without flesh would be bigger and or heavier, but it’s the fat around them and bodily organs etc that is the issue. The only way to not be obese or overweight is to reduce that fat. I’ve finally done it after trying to lose weight all my adult life and part of my adolescence. So how you may ask, by cutting down on fats & sugars and wanting to is the only answer I can give. I’m now a healthy weight, my BMI is in the healthy range, but BMI is not always the way to go, there are lots of proviso’s of using that as a bench mark.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2023, 13:32 »
The wartime generation seemed a lot healthier. Not that I am advocating rationing but it's calories in v. calories out. With the motor car now most of us are far too sedantary.

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 31 queries.