my chicken has an eye problem any ideas

• 8 Replies

waggy2002

« on: January 16, 2008, 19:32 »
hi can anyone help ive got a chicken that dosnt like opening his eyes and although growing dosnt seem to be growing in the head department can anyone help

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 19:42 »
how old is she?

Selkie

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 19:44 »
Hi and welcome Waggy, could she have ingrowing feathers? I think I read on a post here that some hens can have this (especially silkies)

waggy2002

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 19:49 »
hey thanks for the quick reply chicken was bought as a point to lay in november along with six others who are fine and have started to lay she always seems to be rubbing her eyes and her feathers seem to look oily where she's do-ing it.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 19:59 »
quick question are you male or female? :lol:

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 22:56 »
Hello waggy, welcome to the forum! :lol:  :lol:
Sorry to hear about your hen-I guess she is around 24 weeks? is she the same size as the other 6 hens that you bought POL? You mention a  problem with her eyes and from this information I am wondering if she has an infection that would need a visit to the vet and a course of antibiotics to help clear up the infection. Sometimes birds wipe their beaks on their feathers when they are preening(cleaning themselves) -if they have an infection this can look like the oiliness you describe. Only  a thought though-any information you have about how the bird is looking -and acting/eating/drinking and scratching around would help us all to help you with your bird  as there are a lot of experienced poultry keepers here!
Good luck with your hen Waggy :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 23:15 »
Are her eyes just closed or sticky as foxy sugests ?

Bodger

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 09:25 »
Sometimes, even if you buy the best of stock from the best of suppliers, you get a bird thats simply not right. It doen't matter what you do, the bird simply shouldn't be ! This is not to say that you should be a fatalist and not treat them with medication, but there comes a time when you have to draw a line and say enough is enough. Its not a matter of being cruel to be kind but has more to do with the fact that by being what you see as being kind, you are actually be being cruel.

I hope that you understand what it is that I'm trying to say. We all love our chickens but when I hear of people keeping chickens alive through long periods of illness and the chickens having to put up with a poor standard of existence, then as poultry keepers you are misguided and its simply not right or fair on the birds.

This is not simply a matter of economics but also concerns compassion.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 11:17 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
there comes a time when you have to draw a line and say enough is enough. Its not a matter of being cruel to be kind but has more to do with the fact that by being what you see as being kind, you are actually be being cruel.

I hope that you understand what it is that I'm trying to say. We all love our chickens but when I hear of people keeping chickens alive through long periods of illness and the chickens having to put up with a poor standard of existence, then as poultry keepers you are misguided and its simply not right or fair on the birds.

This is not simply a matter of economics but also concerns compassion.

I entirely agree with you Bodger.  

And no one loves their chooks more or is more willing to spend shed loads of money on them than Aunty  :!:

Chickens hide their illnesses well and by the time you know there is something wrong it can be very serious.  If a cure cannot be affected within a reasonable time it is definitely cruel to allow them to suffer longer, their existence is then for the human's sake rather than for the bird's.  :cry:

xx
Any ideas on this problem please?

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 23:41
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Cat problem...any ideas please?

Started by francais on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 24, 2010, 23:12
by Lindeggs
xx
Chicken run ideas...

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 16, 2011, 08:11
by Sassy
xx
Poorly chicken - any ideas?

Started by ChristyRose on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 11:36
by CattinJ

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 34 queries.